Little Girl's Vanity

$35

I painted this for my granddaughter about 5 years ago. She's outgrown it and gave it back to me. It went from a dark brown piece, to a white and colourful one (her choice) to a more classic piece today. Posted it and sold it on the same day.

little girl s vanity

Before

little girl s vanity

Painted white and colorful for my granddaughter. The color choices were her own. She helped me paint it too.

little girl s vanity

I cleaned it thoroughly and lightly sanded the surface. I then painted all but the flat surface with Fusion Mineral Paint in Casement, 2 coats. Then I painted 1 coat of Algonquin on the table top. Topped that up with 2 coats of Stain and Finishing Oil in Capuccino.

little girl s vanity

I added some dark glaze to the legs, but decided that the piece was going to be to dark. The legs were now black while the top was brown. I was getting desperate. I left it alone for a few days, while I worked on other projects. This was always on my mind though. I decided to paint the legs with 2 coats of FMP in Heirloom. (can't see it here).

Because I didn't want it to be brown, I was after more of a grey tone, I added 2 coats of SFO in Ebony. You paint the SFO in straight lines, wait 15 minutes, then wipe back in the same direction. I use a piece of wood trim to ensure as straight an application as possible.

little girl s vanity

This is the back of the mirror. I decoupaged the mirror frame with the same fabric that I reupholstered the bench with. I used Mod podge to apply it. I also added a metallic silver followed by a black glaze to the bottom of the 2 front legs of the vanity. 

little girl s vanity

This is the finished surface. I absolutely love the different colored streaks. It makes the piece. The small drawer was done the same way. I also lined the inside of the drawer with scrapbook paper applied with Mod Podge.

little girl s vanity

little girl s vanity

The finished piece. I posted it and it sold within minutes. 

• Fusion Mineral Paints  (Raggs to Riches)
  • Homestead Stain and Finshing Oil  (Raggs to Rches)
  • Fabric  (Fabricland)