Farmhouse Sink: Stainless Steel or Cast Iron?

+88
We are building a house and I need to choose my sink. I want a farmhouse sink but I'm torn between white cast iron and more modern stainless steel. I feel like the stainless steel might be easier to take care of and my personal style does include a modern edge. But I also have always loved the look of the white cast iron. My kitchen will have white cabinets, white quartz countertops with gray veining, and light wood floors. I need LOTS of opinions about this! Thanks!
q farmhouse sink stainless steel or cast iron, home decor, kitchen design, Stainless steel
Stainless steel?
q farmhouse sink stainless steel or cast iron, home decor, kitchen design, Or cast iron
Or cast iron?
  • Sharon Kavanagh Sharon Kavanagh on Jul 07, 2014
    I had a beautiful white cast iron sink. I now have a stainless one. In my opinion cast iron is great as long as you don't use it. Despite my best efforts to be careful, it chipped within a year. I will never have another cast iron.
  • Donna Byram Donna Byram on Jul 07, 2014
    Cast iron sinks are a lot of maintenance not unless they have improved them over the years. White mars very easily from pots and pans. It comes off with scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend, but who wants to do that, I sure don't.
  • Kendra Loftus Kendra Loftus on Jul 07, 2014
    I think that they are both equally beautiful. If I had to choose between the two, i would go with the stainless one. I personally want to get a soapstone farm sink.
  • Therese C Therese C on Jul 07, 2014
    While stainless steel is much easier to care for, I like cast Iron. However, not the newer cast iron. If it were me, I would look around and find an original cast iron sink from an old house. They are much easier to locate than you would think. Remember, most old cast iron sinks have porcelain coating, so keep that in mind if you go with an original. Do not drop silver ware or anything in the sink and they will last for years. I wish I still had mine.
  • Funnygirl Funnygirl on Jul 07, 2014
    I like the look of the stainless steel
  • Diane Arnold Diane Arnold on Jul 08, 2014
    I have to admit I love my stainless and will never go back. My cabinets are also white, but my counter-top is black. I do also have a stainless hood over my stove.
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Jul 08, 2014
    Think chipping would be a problem with white cast even though it looks lovely.
  • Lori T Lori T on Jul 08, 2014
    I vote stainless steel. one thing to consider is that if you drop a ceramic cup in it it won't break or scratch the sink..plus going by your pictures it just looks great.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jul 08, 2014
    I am the odd man out because I would go for white. The stainless looks strange in that decor to me. I think it lacks the soft lines necessary to have that "farmhouse feel". SS may be the more durable choice, but I would still go with the white. BTW - beautiful kitchen...don't you dare spill anything on that white!
  • Liliana Wells Liliana Wells on Jul 08, 2014
    While the white looks much better, from what I have read so far, the cast iron white ink would be harder to maintain. Stainless steel is much easier and durable. I have always loved the ease with which it can be cleaned.
  • Simply Fresh Vintage Simply Fresh Vintage on Jul 08, 2014
    I would go with the white porcelain. And I wouldn't mind it getting chippy at all ... that just adds to the farmhouse look and feel! Farmhouses are meant to look loved and worn ... that's their character :)
  • Arlene Leilani Arlene Leilani on Jul 08, 2014
    I am there with you - I am renovating also and already have a white cast iron. As much as I love it I am going for stainless. The white cast iron is def high maintenance. It easily scratches....it stains yellow sometimes depending on the food you are rinsing and I have to constantly scrub to keep it sparkling white. It has lasted me years but I can't stand the scratches. It's an eye sore.
  • Elizabeth Cochran Elizabeth Cochran on Jul 08, 2014
    I've got a white one and it's about impossible to keep looking pretty. Everything stains it and I am constantly cleaning it. Otherwise it is beautiful. I have a love hate thing with mine.
  • Debby Boyle Debby Boyle on Jul 08, 2014
    I would take any one of these..
  • Grannymike Grannymike on Jul 08, 2014
    I had a cast iron sink for 18 years, and when we remodeled our kitchen, I knew I wanted another one. I have never had a problem with chipping, and with Barkeeper's Friend (under two dollar at Walmart), I can easily keep it looking new. I have had stainless stell in the past and will never willingly have it again. I actually find it much harder to keep nice looking than the white cast iron. I also agree with Jeanette S in that to me, the stainless steel sticks out with the farmhouse look. I'm sure you will be happy with either one, but trust me, with Barkeeper's Friend, you do not have to worry about keeping a while sink looking new and with very little effort. It is the best choice also for a smooth stovetop.
  • Stahli Claassen Stahli Claassen on Jul 08, 2014
    I have a white farmhouse sink in my kitchen and I love it! I do clean it about once every other week but I wouldn't say that I have to scrub it. As far as scratching is concerned, I have one very small scratch/chip where my husband dropped the crock pot. Broke the crock but the sink is still going! (The spot is about the size of the writing tip of a pencil.) Quick question for those that have the SS sinks- How are they at cleaning? I have a SS island counter and it is constantly needing cleaned. I do have small kids so maybe that has something to do with it.
  • Lana Westerfield Lana Westerfield on Jul 08, 2014
    We are remodeling also and chose this sink.... I think the quality has improved over the years for the cast iron/porcelain. Time will tell how it holds up, but it is guaranteed not to chip http://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Whitehaven-Undermount-Cast-Iron-35-6875x21-5625x9-625-0-Hole-Single-Bowl-Kitchen-Sink-in-White-K-6489-0/202872452
    • See 2 previous
    • Laurie Wellborn Laurie Wellborn on Feb 14, 2021

I'm curious how your kohler sink has held up. I am considering that one also?

• Patti Patti on Jul 08, 2014
    I am planning on stainless for all the reasons already mentioned and because I have four boys (I'm not always in front of the sink to protect it from whatever they are lobbing into it)!! My sink really takes a beating. I also look for a standard size because I have even had to replace a stainless sink because of scratches.
  • Tar310519 Tar310519 on Jul 08, 2014
    I LOVE my white farmhouse sink! I have stainless appliances, and just thought the sink would be over-kill. I've never had a chipping problem, ever! I do wipe it down every day and clean it with bleach occasionally, but I'd do that even if it were stainless. I guess it depends if you're wanting the farmhouse look or more of a modern look in your kitchen! I, personally like the warm, inviting feeling of the white. :)
  • HomeSpot HQ HomeSpot HQ on Jul 08, 2014
    The white sink is a little more timeless but either are very nice.
  • Sandra Mavity Sandra Mavity on Jul 08, 2014
    Love the look of the white porcelain but I've been there done that! If you cook a lot, you clean it a lot. I've also had stainless & would probably get it again. Easy to clean! I have Corian now & hate it!!
    • See 1 previous
      I'm hoping to install new countertops, white quartz w/ the grey veining to go with my black cabinets. I might even get the black granite sink if I don't go with the stainless farmhouse. Decisions, decisions! Lol
  • Jan Ressler Jan Ressler on Jul 08, 2014
    White
  • 75591 75591 on Jul 08, 2014
    Stainless steel rarely looks clean and stains, so I would go for the porcelain.
  • If you can, get copper. :) SS looks too garish but it is definitely lower maintenance than the white cast iron.
  • Nancy Nancy on Jul 08, 2014
    We did a remodel last winter and I put a stainless steel sink at my coffee bar. I hate it!!!!! We have very hard water and I stays spotted all the time! Go with the white cast iron!
  • Darla Darla on Jul 08, 2014
    I love porcelain sinks, but I think the stainless steel will look better - less of a "white overload"!
  • Leah T Leah T on Jul 08, 2014
    I have had both. Last old house had white and LOVED it. This house have stainless to match appliances. The stainless looks great here, white would have looked out of place but the white was easier to keep clean. The stainless spots, bottom of tubs gets scratched and the creases are squared off and are a bit tricky to clean. If you can go with white, I would
  • Janet F Janet F on Jul 08, 2014
    I like the contrasting look of the SS although it goes against the traditional farmhouse look. I have a white sink in my kitchen which looks very similar to yours. It does take fairly frequent cleaning if you're cooking regularly. Mine has ridges along the back splash and that I would NEVER get again as we have hard water and it always looks dirty no matter how much I scrub it. The rest is fine except it has one chip in it from dropping something. I've never had SS in my home but we had them in our classrooms and they always looked dirty. I dislike the smell of them when you're cleaning them. I don't know what causes that.....steel scraping steel?
  • Collene Heeg Collene Heeg on Jul 08, 2014
    toss a coin lol,,from reading your post I think your heart is with the cast iron,,,,go with your heart always....we always regret it when we don't..
  • Tina Krenz Tina Krenz on Jul 08, 2014
    If it were me, I would go with the cast iron sink. It's more country and it would fit in better. Besides that, I like country styles, not modern or western, and I hate what we have now which is stainless steel stove, dishwasher, and microwave, but didn't have a choice. We got transferred from Wichita, Ks. to Ok.
  • Meloni Simpson Meloni Simpson on Jul 08, 2014
    I love the white. I have a stainless steel sink now and it just looks so grudging to me.
  • Franielou Franielou on Jul 08, 2014
    Cast iron!
  • Maria Jimenez Maria Jimenez on Jul 08, 2014
    Stainless makes it pop. Love the way it brings out the cabinet hardware.
  • Katie Katie on Jul 08, 2014
    My vote is cast iron or porcelain. The SS is hard to keep looking nice and if it has sharp corners, you will need a toothbrush to keep the corners from getting grungy!! Have fun! I got a lovely porcelain farmhouse sink from Ikea. It was about half the price of any other sink I liked. It weighs a tons, but looks great!
  • Teresa Teresa on Jul 08, 2014
    I have a stainless farmers sink and cook and can alot so I would not want to clean a white sink. I do have to clean this one some but it always looks good.
  • Nana Nana on Jul 08, 2014
    I love the look on white to keep in the theme
  • Barbara Turner Barbara Turner on Jul 08, 2014
    I'm partial to the white myself! Just looks more folksy and country. Stainless looks clean but too industrial for my taste for a country kitchen although it is more indestructible.
  • Duv310660 Duv310660 on Jul 08, 2014
    Well, you can keep a steel sink spotless by using "Barkeeper's Friend" powder no matter HOW hard your water is, but I would vote for the cast iron. More genuine to the spirit of a farmhouse; my 1872 farmhouse has both type sinks, very hard well water, and I just feel more authentic when doing the dishes in the cast iron sink which was installed early 1900's. This is a plus, as I am at the sink a lot!
  • Robin R M Robin R M on Jul 08, 2014
    White cast iron...definitely!
  • Lisa Lisa on Jul 08, 2014
    I'd go with the cast iron/white. I'm not a huge fan of stainless, as whenever we've had stainless sinks, they've been a bear to keep clean, while traditional sinks clean up very nicely. We currently have one of those fake farmhouse sinks - plastic over I dunno what- and it's terrible to keep clean. So go with real, not fake anything. Go with something easy to keep clean, so that you're not cussing at it every time you use it. And this could mean stone, as versus cast iron. Be sure to check all your options before making a decision. have fun and good luck!
  • Melinda Columbus Melinda Columbus on Jul 08, 2014
    Hard to decide!! My grandmother & my mom-in-law had porcelain for years & they canned foods etc... Fed 9-16 people nearly every meal no prob ever. SS has it's adv too. I even wish my countertop around my stove & sink were SS!!!!
  • Karen Karen on Jul 08, 2014
    White cast iron.....I think ss makes it look modern!
  • Kelly Szymanski Kelly Szymanski on Jul 08, 2014
    I've always preferred the look of a white sink but seeing the 2 photos I think the SS sink looks better. Too much white with the white sink.