How do I get rid of roaches?

+6

My landlord bombed neighbor's house after they were evicted and of course apparently they had Critters and all came down to my house . I have been battling them for some time now with raid and also the paste but with the fumes and the toxic fumes and everything and also my husband's got Parkinson's and breathing problems and I read on the red can that it causes Parkinson's so I don't need that so is there anything like that I can do to you know homemade that I can do to get rid of these ?

• Lin33955017 Lin33955017 on Dec 03, 2018

I had a similar problem and the only thing that worked for me was this tube of a brown type substant, similar to bathroom caulking,I'm so sorry I don't remember the name of it. Just a tiny smear of it, about an inch long, in areas where it can't be seen, and I was rid of the roaches in less than 3 days. You can but it in any hardware store. Good luck.

• Colleen Colleen on Dec 03, 2018

Talk to your landlord. The whole building needs to be treated at the same time.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 03, 2018

Patricia...I would discuss it with landlord and explain the health of your husband. We have an exterminator that treats our house quarterly and there are no odors. Good luck and hope you can get an answer from landlord.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Dec 03, 2018

Is it duplex?? That sucks if it is. Harder to get access to areas that need sprayed. Call the landlord it's his responsibility to clean up the house.Report the landlord to city/county, if he doesn't take care of it completely report him to city/county again put the rent $ in escrow acct. with city/county Landlord /Tenant disputes he cannot access rent $ until the property is cleaned up. clean everything thoroughly clothes,linens,beds,couch etc and treat furniture bag up clothes and linens in sealed containers bags. all food everything in sealed containers.save receipts for cleaning everything and all the containers you end up buying add to cost of cleanup. The roaches drop egg cases everywhere they travel & these just keep hatching. Go to local bug-n-weed mart or such & buy your own spray they will teach you everything to get rid of them it's $$ but save all receipts to be deducted from rent. Boric acid and cornmeal is what commercial roach bait is made of mix it and sprinkle in cupboards everywhere you can, it is poisonous so beware of it with pets,kids,yourself. If you need to you can mix it up & put in small container plastic or cardboard and cut hole for them to get to/eat boric acid(making your own roach motel)so it's not out in open inside cupboards. Roaches are hard to get rid of but if you keep at it you can be rid of them. Use spray foam to seal around any pipe openings under cupboards,inside in back of cupboards any where you can find.

• Meg Meg on Dec 04, 2018

I had exactly the same problem and a kid with asthma. I was totally infested and had tried everything I could. It was honestly worth paying Orkin to come out. I told them no sprays because of the asthma. They did the gel and sprinkled some kind of crystals aroud the perimeter of my house. It only took one treatment and I didn’t see a single bug after that. It was worth the cost.

• Darrell Brittain Darrell Brittain on Dec 04, 2018

Get a tube of Combat and follow the directions. Walmart has it and doesn't cost that much non- toxic.

• BrokeCrazyLady BrokeCrazyLady on Dec 05, 2018

I agree with Colleen. It is your landlord's responsibility to treat all of the rentals at the same time.

• Pete Sakes Pete Sakes on Dec 05, 2018

The exact same thing happened to me years ago. You need to get "Roach Prufe". They used to sale it at Ace Hardware. I'm sure you can order it online. It works!

• Sunnie Joy Sunnie Joy on Dec 24, 2018

I had that same problem only the ones I got were HUGE! I went to my local big box hardware supply, got a package of diatomaceous earth and lightly sprinkled it in the floor corners and along the floor behind furniture; and around the outside edge of the outside walls. It's non-toxic, no fumes and completely safe around kids and pets. Just don't put it where the kids can get to it. Also, it doesn't wash away in the rain/weather and will last for a very long time. And yes, your landlord is responsible for this issue.