Easy DIY Ribbon Trees

$3

These three dimensional ribbon trees add a whimsical touch to your holiday decor. And they're incredibly easy to make, too!

easy diy ribbon trees

Seriously--you just need paper (I used cardstock for the smaller trees, poster board from the dollar store for the larger ones), a low temperature hot glue gun, and pretty ribbon. I'm partial to the peppermint striped ribbons, but any pretty, inexpensive ribbon would make a beautiful ribbon tree.

easy diy ribbon trees

Cut the ribbon into short lengths. The smaller the tree, the shorter the ribbon. For my smaller, 10" tall trees, the ribbon was cut perhaps 3" long. For my bigger trees, I used wider ribbon cut in 5-6" lengths.

easy diy ribbon trees

Use a low temperature hot glue gun to glue the ribbon into little loops. Glue the right side to right side to get these pretty little twisted loops. Then use that same glue gun to glue the ribbon loops to the paper cones.

easy diy ribbon trees

Make the trees in slightly different shapes and sizes to create visual interest in your display.

easy diy ribbon trees

I actually bought the little red velvet bows that are the toppers on these trees. They came in a 12 or 15 pack from the dollar store. And the twist-tie wire wrapped around the center of the red velvet bows was easy to tuck inside my ribbon trees, since there was a tiny hole at the top of each cone. You could easily make them, though, if you don't find a pack of these bows at a good price at your local dollar store.

I love my fireplace mantel peppermint forest! And I kind of want to make a REALLY big one for my front porch. I'll realize my goal of turning my house into a gingerbread house one of these days.

See how easy it is to make these ribbon trees in my video tutorial.

Nikki Wills