How to Make a Simple 'Hand Stand' for Your Phone

$10

With a few readily available materials, we are going to show you how to give your phone a 'hand!' Ha, couldn't resist the pun! We are making a 'hand' stand for your phone. With this stand, your phone is always, 'handy!' (Promise, that's the last one!)

Take a look at the video or read on for the tutorial. But, really, check out the video for a quick overview of the project.

how to make a concrete hand stand for your phone

For this project you're going to need the Quikrete mix of your choice. We are using a 10 pound bag of mortar mix. You'll need a mixing bowl, something to stir with, water, and a plastic glove as well as the appropriate safety gear like goggles, mask, and eye protection. It's important to protect your hands and face from the concrete dust.

Pour a small amount of concrete into the bowl. We probably used about three cups. Add water and mix until you have a brownie batter like consistency.

This next step is best done by two people--one to hold open the glove and the other to fill. Add the concrete to the glove a little at a time and move it down into the fingers until full. Continue to fill until about two inches from the opening of the glove.

Use what you have to prop the concrete glove into position. We are using a couple of stain cans.

We secured the wrist of the glove with two cans to keep it upright and in position. We are using a small square container to make an indentation for the phone to sit.

Lastly, we used a concrete doorstop to keep the square container in place. Be sure not to set the doorstop on any of the concrete fingers. The concrete is allowed to set for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, remove the glove from the concrete hand. The concrete will still be damp at this point so allow it another couple of days to dry out before using.

All finished. The hand on the left is made with Quikrete countertop mix and the voids are painted with DecoArt metallic gold paint. The one on the right is made with the Quikrete mortar mix.

Here you can see how we added gold highlights to the voids.

Need a hand? We have two to choose from!

Watch the video for the full how-to!

Mother Daughter Projects

• Caseyem11

Did you find a difference between the two mixes?

• The countertop mix is smoother but in this project it really doesn't matter what you use. I probably wouldn't use one with a lot of rocks in it though. It would make it pretty rough looking. ~Vicki

• Melody

Cute idea...but wouldn't the concrete surface scratch the phone? I wouldn't risk it....

• Barbara Mozo

I bought a soft TY beanie baby 'puppy' cell phone holder for $10. I can move it from room to room easily.

• Jane

Great idea! I’m wondering if putting the hand in a bowl would give it a more realistic bend to the “fingers” and still work?

• Stephany

You just gave me an awesome answer to what to get for Christmas for all the teens and pre-teens in my family who have everything. Because there are so many kids in the family we decided years ago to put a $20 - $25 cap on gifts from Aunts & Uncles. Every year it gets harder and harder to find something. Now this I think they'll find cool and unique. I'm thinking a personalized one with a phone charger attached. You can never have too many chargers. ;-) Thank you for the neat idea.

• Veronica Jones

That's a great idea, I'm also thinking I could do that for candles also. Thanks