How to Make a Christmas Ornament Display Basket From a Planter

$30

Four easy steps to turn that empty planter into a beautiful Christmas ornament display using easy to find Christmas decor items.

how to make a christmas ornament display basket from a planter

Before you begin, gather your supplies. Any kind of planter will work, I happened to use this square plant stand, but hanging planters would also be lovely. You will also need some greenery - I used the left-over branches from our live Christmas tree. If you will be placing your finished product within reach of a power source, these look even more beautiful when lit, so a strand of outdoor lights will be needed. And finally, you need your ornaments, along with some floral Christmas picks and/or Poinsettias blossoms to give your basket a more finished look.

Step one is to line your planter with greenery. To make this step easier, I separated the bare branches from the greenery and sorted the greenery into piles of similar size. I used branches from the largest size to line my planter. You want this layer thick enough that none of your decorations fall through, but thin enough that the light can shine through.

This step is optional, but if you plan to use lights, now is the time to add them. Be sure and drop the plug end of the cord out of the basket to make it easier to hook up when you are all finished.

The lights should be positioned so that as much light as possible shines through the branches.

Next, add your ornaments. I used red, white, and green to match our outdoor lighting scheme. The ornaments I selected for this project are outdoor/shatterproof ornaments.

Finally, fill in any gaps with Christmas floral picks and/or Christmas flowers. I used 4 poinsettia blossoms and 1 floral pick for this basket.

The completed ornament basket is beautiful in the daylight.

And stunning in the darkness. For complete steps, please see the full blog post here.

I hope you have enjoyed this DIY. If so, head over to my blog for another quick and easy Christmas DIY which can be found here.

Sondra