Stained Glass Window Sun Catchers

I admit it, I’m turning into a sun catcher fanatic. I love to see the sunlight pouring in through the windows, and anything that brings color to my day is most welcome. Here is another kid's craft that is perfect for a rainy day, especially when the next day might be sunny so that they can enjoy their hard work. These are beautiful summertime stained glass window sun catchers.
Please note that you can still do these without a diecut machine. However I recommend it to an older age, teen or tween. It would be easy to create their own by drawing a shape, making sure all lines are connected. Keeping the lines thick, use a razor knife to cut out between the lines on top of a self-healing mat. Using a diecut machine is just tons faster and makes it easier for the kids to create with this craft.
I began these sun catchers with cardstock. I used 12×12 sheets of black, but you can go with any thick cardstock color. Just make sure the cardstock is dark enough so that the light won’t shine through it. I used my Cricut Expression paper cutting machine and several Cricut Cartridges to cut out the background pieces. The cartridges include Cindy Loo and Paper Lace1. However, there are many doilies that could be used in both these cartridges and others.
As you can see, although they look black in the window, the one is actually a dark purple.I also added gems to the centers of the flowers on the third one, so it could be as pretty in the dark as well.
You will need tissue paper (I got mine from the dollar store), scissors, glue, a pencil and your cut out background.
The first thing I did was to size and cut my cardstock out using Cricut Craft Room.
Gently pull the diecut off the mat, and turn it upside down.
Cut a piece of tissue paper about the size of the shape you are covering. Then trace around it lightly.
Cut outside the line leaving a small amount of paper, and adhere into place. I used a paper glue, made for scrapbooking so that the paper didn’t warp with the wet glue.
This is what it looks like from the front. Get stronger colors with two layers of tissue or more. Each layer has color and the more layers, the deeper the color will be. Above, I used two layers of red to get the darker center of the rose.
Decide where you want to add color, leaving (or not leaving) spaces plain. Continue until finished.
Hang with a loop of tape.
Enjoy!

Creative Me Inspired You

• Att9512450

I'm wondering if you could cover the whole back with wax paper and then water color the various areas. Would be easier and quicker. Just a thought.

• Deb11507901

now that is a great idea sounds like it would be much more easier....deb

• Carole

Yes I certainly will try this , they are GREAT .

LOVE all your ideas Kristen