Festive Farmhouse Wreath Ornament

$4

After the dust settled from my other holiday crafting, I used a few leftover items to create this sweet little Christmas Wreath tree ornament.

This year, I had the ambitious idea of making my own Christmas cards! So for the past two months, I've been up to my elbows in scrapbook paper, glitter, and glue stick. When I was finally finished (I think) I had this little wooden frame leftover from a card idea that I decided not to make. I also had a pile of paper scraps, some bits or ribbon, and other odds and ends.

Wreath Christmas Card

I hated to throw these leftover bits away, but I didn't want to store them either. Then I realized I could take one of my card designs, use up my scraps, and turn them into a cute little ornament for my Christmas tree!

First, I cut out a cardboard ring and glued it on to my wooden frame. You can find the detailed steps over on my blog.

While my cardboard ring dried, I cut out a bunch of little leaves from my paper scraps. Next, I took each leaf and folded it in half lengthwise against a ruler to form a spine.

Then I began placing and gluing my leaves around my wreath form. I placed each leaf so that it was turned slightly out so that it covered the edge of my cardboard ring.

The fold in the leaves creates texture and interest in the wreath. Each new leaf is tucked in against the previous one to lift the edges and avoid any holes. This takes just a bit of patience, but moves quickly once you get the hang of it.

Mixing up the paper designs adds more color to the wreath, too.

When your wreath is complete, you can add additional decorations like beads, pom poms, and a bow. I have all the directions for finishing your ornament on my blog.

Donna