How do I insulate a big shower window in the winter?

+16

We live in the mountains and winter time is here and that means our bathroom is freezing. We don’t know what to cover a large window with other then a piece of wood but would rather see something a little more eye pleasing. Also we want something temporary that we can take down once spring comes. The window measures 45 inches by 45 inches. So if anyone has an idea we would love to hear it.Thank you so very much,

q what s the best way to cover insulate a big shower window in winter

Shower window.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 04, 2018

Hi Kerri! One that popped in my head was bubble wrap. You moisten the glass, and smooth the wrap over the glass. I've used that on large french doors and not only did it keep the room warmer, but, the light coming in was pretty, too. It's inexpensive and easy to do.

• See 2 previous
    • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 06, 2018

Hi Jo! I misted the windows with a fine mist of water, not drippy wet. If the water is runny, just pat some of it off with a clean microfiber cloth. It helps if the window is nice and clean. Then just smooth it over the glass. Similar to applying window film, but, much cheaper!

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Dec 04, 2018

You can use thick clear plastic and use clear packing tape to hold it down. The other thing would be put up thermal lined drapes. Can cut down to fit in your window and use a tension rod.

• Kerri Kerri on Dec 04, 2018

That’s a good idea too.

we did put up a shower curtain last year but if we first tape down plastic or the bubble wrap Cynthia mentioned that just may work.

respectfully,

Kerri

• Rebecca Taylor Rebecca Taylor on Dec 04, 2018

Hi Kerri, I agree with Cynthia, I have used bubble wrap on windows. Just spray the window with a couple of drops of dish detergent in water and spray the window. Then put the smooth side of the bubble wrap on the window and smooth down with your hands. It worked great for me and is cost efficient.

• Mona Blake Mona Blake on Dec 04, 2018

They make a special order corrugated plastic that insulates well. It is clear to let the light in.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 04, 2018

You can also put shrink-wrap window film up to help with the cold. If you happen to have a basement or if your bathroom is over a garage, insulating the floor will help, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PkFKG4b7ic

• Kerri Kerri on Dec 05, 2018

Hi Molly,

we used 3M plastic film on our windows at our last cabin and I love that stuff however since it’s in the shower and it’s all tile we think it would be hard for it to adhere to. I should read the package and see if it would work in high moisture areas.

Thanks for the info.

very best wishes,

Kerri

• Oliva Oliva on Dec 04, 2018

Hi, Kerri,

Doubling your insulation with the plastic/bubble wrap and thermal draperies will further reduce any air infiltration. If you prefer, you can purchase heavy duty, light blocking and thermal break lining at JoAnne fabric or fabric suppliers, to make your own custom width/length drapery.

• See 1 previous
    • Oliva Oliva on Dec 05, 2018

Hi, Kerri,

Your town looks quite inviting!

Living in S.W PA, I can appreciate your desire for warmth. We've had temps in the low 20's (or lower), with wind chills in the teens.

I think you'll really like the heavier weight thermal fabric. You can make your drape as full as you prefer. I was told the more folds, the less cold 😊.

The reduction in cold transmission in a large window is quite significant.

Seeing your tile surrounding the window made me shiver!

Wishing you the best and a great Holiday season to you and yours.

• Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Dec 05, 2018

The shrink wrap works if you need to keep the light, but if you really want it warm then take a piece of the pink Foamular insulation. Cut it to fit the window snug, then wrap it with contact paper or a pretty fabric. Wedge it in the opening until spring!