Fake These Gorgeous Pottery Barn Candlesticks

$25
1 Day

Love Pottery Barn holiday decor but don't love the price? Grab some table legs & terra cotta saucers for this genius trick! Check out the video for more how-to's!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

First stop - home depot - I purchased 3 different wooden legs at different heights. Then I purchased 6 terra cotta pot saucers for the top and bottom of each. For the longer table legs I purchased two larger saucers for the bottom for extra stability.

Step 1: Remove screws.

To begin, twist off the screws using a pair of pliers. This will leave your legs with a flat surface.

Step 2: Attach & let dry.

Next, attach the saucers using E6000 glue and let them dry overnight.

Step 3: distress.

After your candle sticks are dry, grab a bar of soap and begin rubbing it into the grooves of each leg.

Step 4: paint & let dry.

Next, grab some chalk paint, paint them & let them dry.

Step 5: Sand.

After that, sand the soap off of each leg.

These candle sticks are such a stunning accent to any room, and no one will believe you made them yourself!

Just add a bow and some greenery to dress them up for Christmas!

These are also great after the holidays too - mix and match your candles & decor -- the possibilities are endless!

I hope this inspires you to fake your own high end look today!

Happy Holidays, I'll see you in my next video!

• JETHRO PAUL RAYMER

CAN YOU PLEASE SING ME UP FOR YOUR NEWSLETTERS MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS jethropaulraymergreen7373@gmaill.com

• Unique Creations By Anita

They look great, well done. Just have a question about the soap. Why do you use it if you are using sandpaper to distress. What does the soap do?

• Glenda Sapp Luckie

I was wondering the same thing. Almost seems like you could just wipe off the paint in those areas...??

• Bruce Leib

because that's how to do it

• Jawene

The soap is not necessary. I made a set & the best way to distress in small areas is a cheap paper nail file!

• Suzie

The soap will go into some of the grooves that sanding afterwards wouldn't get into as well. The soap stops the paint adhering so you can get the distressed look in the grooves as well as on the ridges of the piece.

• Em

I never saw so much brouhaha over a bar of soap before. First, Abbie why did you not explain why you used the soap in the post? Everyone is confused and guessing. Let the readers know why you just didn't sand the edges to age the wood

• Debbo

What was the soap used for? And why not just paint them first, I guess I'm not sure about the soap thing.whats it used in project for.

• Jewellmartin

The soap resists the paint. When the soap is rubbed off, the paint comes off easily. I love experimenting and it looks like Abbie M. Has found a way to use resistance painting on wood, not just fabric. Give it a try! ☺️

• Debbo

Thankyou so much.

• Jane Cappelli

I saved the posts from my babies’ four poster crib. Wonder if I could use those for this project.

• Mary Boger

That would be so sweet!

• Deb Mahre

I agree with Mary... What a beautiful sentimental action. Someday each child could receive a gift as a piece of their childhood.

• Cathy Hays

I love that idea Jane! They could use the Candle Stick to hold a Unity candle to lite at their wedding maybe someday?

• Lainie

PERFECT! It's actually turned into a legacy piece to pass down to future generations!!!

• Harriette

Wondering why you used the soap before painting and then distressed. Sounds unique, but not sure what the purpose was. Love the finished piece, however.

• Mark Brickey

From my experience, it would make the sanding easier & also not let the darker paint soak into the grain of the light wood.

• Deb Mahre

I'm wondering if it made the distressing process flow more easily, especially in the crevices?!?

• Cathy Hays

The soap keeps the paint from soaking into the wood and makes the distressing much easier. The paint won’t stick to the soap areas.

• Christine Zeiler

I agree. I thought the soap would resist the paint. In her words she says sand the soap off; however, the soap is covered with paint. Not sure I understand.

• Jana

Actually the paint does NOT stick to the paint.

• Shirley

Christine Zeiler she sanded off the paint-covered soap.

• Gayla

She is correct, soap or I like to use candle wax keeps the paint from Adhearing to the wood making the sanding process easier. I will say for me using chalk paint I personally do not see the need to use soap or wax because the chalk paint comes off so easily. If using latex it can be a God send making it much easier to sand the latex paint back off.

• Brenda I

I’m not positive, but the soap in the grooves kept the paint from going in the grooves. Then afterwards you could easily remove the soap by sanding.

• GMS

I don't see the difference that the soap did, what was the purpose

• Mark Brickey

• Sherry Mason

yes, it will not absorb the paint. Vaseline does the same thing

• Patricia Bates

What kind of candles are shown in the picture?

• Sande

Whoa!!!😃 I am on my way to Home Depot right now!!!! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful and clever idea❤️

• Iberkeley

Interesting use of the soap, however, what exactly is the purpose? Perhaps it make the distressing easier. Another point: It would seem that it's easier to put on the soap without the saucers, no?

• Kay

Look nice! But what does the soap do?

• Dorinda Rodriguez

Seriously... why the soap??

• Susan

The soap keeps the paint from sticking as well and makes the distressing easier..... Not necessary though.

• Sandra H

I'm thinking it makes the sanding easier.

• Teija Nelson

It keeps the paint from sticking in places

• Mary Hise

we used to use little candles or crayons to write on our Easter eggs before we die them and then the die wouldn't stick to wear the wax was. Same kind of concept

• Regina Jones Herman

If the soap makes distressing easier, could I use the same technique on my kitchen cabinets? Thanks!

• Julia Davis

Absolutely you can! I would put a good coat of sealant over them once the desire effect is acheived to keep them from continuing to distress (unless you desire them to continue to be more distressed).

• Shirley McDonald Blair

Wouldn’t it be better to use a bigger saucer at the bottom to give these better balance?

they look like they could tip over too easily.

otherwise, I like the idea very much!

• Debbi

So do you put 2 coats of chalk paint on it before you sand it?

• Linda Lou Dinger

Can you use regular paint for this technique??

• Douglas

Does chalk paint come in different colors? Also could you use regular flat or semi-gloss paint for this technique?

• Brenda Archer-Knorr

Yes

• Douglas

Thanks. I have old table legs that I was going to eventually make a table top for. I think this might be a better way to use them

• Jennifer Casey Thrall

yes u can use regular paint, I used spray white paint from a can and painted my white, it came out so nice, and I have mine sitting on my fireplace mantle on the one side, good luck.

• Douglas

Thanks Jennifer, did you still use the soap?

• Anne Leadley

What's chalk paint

• Kerry Notz

It is paint with chalk dust in it. It makes the paint look & feel older.

• Erica Smith

You can make homemade Chalk paint by choosing your color of flat latex paint and add plaster of paris powder to make it think but not a paste. It dries full looking like Kerry said just to make things look farmhouseish, Country, Primitive and chippy chic style! Have fun. There are recipes on Pinterest for exact measurements of chalk paint!

• Susan Frederick Newell

Do you use a base coat of paint and then a different color on top?

• Erica Smith

No Ma'am! Just use the chalk paint. It will act as the base coat and final coat. She used the soap just to help distress the candle sticks. You can skip that IF you want and just use the paint or any kind of paint you choose. If your style isnt rustic then use a semi or high gloss!

• Kay Froelke Anderson

what Height of candles

• Sally

What is the point of the bar soap if you're going to sand the grooves anyway? I didn't understand that.

• Faye

How is the weight of them? Can they easily be knock over by a swipe of a cat's tail? Those saucers you use break easily. I think they have decorative square wooden blocks at places like Home Depot.

Thanks for the ideas

Faye

• Jessica

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

• MaryAnn

Those are some pretty, fancy candles. Did you DIY those too? Is there a tutorial on those somewhere?