Garage Converted to a Family Room!

My husband, two daughters and I live in a small house. When our two daughters grew into teenagers we really started to feel a little cramped. We debated for years whether we should sacrifice our attached 1-car garage for more living space.
Before
Before
It took awhile to convince my husband to sacrifice the storage space of the garage for more living space, but he finally caved. Renovations took over a year. We had to build a wall where the garage door once was, add a window, insulate, re-sheet rock and build the floor up so that it is level.
After
After
We added the center bump out for architectural detail and to make a space for an electric fireplace. My husband also added the planks to the wall, and we had the mantle custom built. People still ask if we miss having the storage space. We really don't! The extra living space is totally worth it.
garage converted to a family room, garage doors, garages, home decor, living room ideas
If you want to learn more about this project, or some of our other DIY adventures, visit my blog.
TheHoneycombHome

• Josh

how did you insulate and weather proof the garage door so that wind and rain or snow did not leak in

• Sue Spaur

"We had to build a wall where the garage door once was, add a window, insulate, re-sheet rock and build the floor up so that it is level." explained within the post

• David Lowery

Not sure what people are complaining about giving up a garage for storage place. My garage is for my car. I put a building out back for all of my lawn equipment. This room looks great!

• Louie

very nice, i did the same and made my art studio .