How to stop flocking on artificial Christmas tree from falling off?

+5

Is there something to spray on a flocked Artificial Christmas tree to stop the flocking from falling off? Hang an ornament or brush against it and powdery, dusty flocking falls off. It's a beautiful 6 foot tree and this is 3rd year we have put it up.

• Kate Kate on Dec 05, 2018

maybe hair spray or clear sealant from paint dept at AC Moore/Lowes

• Sybil Daly Sybil Daly on Dec 05, 2018

I have heard this and should do outside, but still worry about the scent from the hairspray all over the room. Wonder if there is a scent free hair spray.

• Kate Kate on Dec 05, 2018

Call a beauty supply place. I'm sure with all of the allergies nowadays there would be something. Good Luck.

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Dec 06, 2018

if the tree is an older one .... the flocking may have just outlived itself! you can possibly 're-do' it ... https://www.balsamhill.com/how-to-flock-an-artificial-christmas-tree or try this one --

https://www.southernliving.com/christmas/decor/how-to-flock-christmas-tree

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 09, 2018

Hi Sybil: Try spraying it with hair spray. That just might work. Good luck.

• Rich Rich on Aug 10, 2019

Has anyone tried the hairspray on a tree to keep flocking from falling off? If so, does it work?

• Alice Steiner Alice Steiner on Oct 26, 2019

I would be very afraid to use something like hairspray which is highly flammable. Excessive heat from bulbs or possibly a tiny section of exposed wire could make the tree ignite with hairspray residue all over it. The same goes for sealer sprays. Artificial trees are treated with chemicals to make them nonflammable. I have a white flocked tree that I plan to dispose of for exactly this reason, that the powder flocking not only falls to the ground but becomes airborne and you wind up inhaling it while setting up the tree. It is a shame because it is an attractive tree but I don’t want artificial flocking particles in my lungs.

• MAriah CArrillo MAriah CArrillo on Nov 16, 2020

Hair spray works

you may not be able to get all the tree floke but it reduces the amount of flowe that fell off my tree.... best part it started no fires