Sonja
Sonja
  • Columbia, MO

Making a Faux Brick Wall With Sheetrock Plaster

$40
Advanced

DIY major project! We have a crack appear in the same spot every year that I have to repair. So, this year I decided to try for a permanent fix. Make a faux brick wall as inexpensive as I can. Major undertaking since it is in a vaulted part of the foyer going up stairs! After a week of backbreaking work, I am happy with the results.

Before I started.
Before I started.
making a faux brick wall with sheetrock plaster

This is the entry foyer. Before picture.

The crack I was covering up
The crack I was covering up

I should have put this first. This is the pain in the b$&@ crack!

Tape, tape and more tape!
Tape, tape and more tape!

I measured a brick. Then painstakingly measured out the brick pattern and taped it off. Grueling task, but it was very important that it look as much like brick as possible. I tore the tape so it didn’t look like clean edges. I used a level just to make sure it was straight and a pencil to draw out the pattern.

Not easy on the stairs!
Not easy on the stairs!

More taping! The tape was some I already had, hence, the different colors. I buy tape any time I find it at a garage sale just for these types of projects.

I then used all purpose Sheetrock joint compound to put over the area. It was on sale at Menards for $12.97 for 5 gallons. At first, I used my putty knife to lay the compound. Later, I used my hand (with a plastic glove on) and just smeared it. It worked way better. The putty knife didn’t let me put it on as thick as I wanted. When it had set about 15 minutes, I started pulling off the taped. Messy deal! Make sure u have your trash can close by! If it dries with the tape- good luck getting it off! I didn’t see one or two until after it had dried and couldn’t get it off. So, I made a line where it should have been with the ‘grout’.

A mudding we will go!
A mudding we will go!

The tan ‘bricks’ were me trying to tint the joint compound to save a step. I didn’t like it so continued just with the white.

All the way done with the joint compound! The ‘bricks’ were 1/4 to 1/2 inch raised from the wall. Then I put a thin layer of Rock Hard putty (bought at Menards for about $9.) over the bricks to make them more durable. The yellow parts are the putty not yet dry. It turns white when dry. You have to work fast because it hardens in no time. It comes in a dry powder that you mix as needed. Only mix smaller amounts because of the fast hardening speed. Play around with what works for you.

Painting the ‘brick’
Painting the ‘brick’

I used acrylic paint (some I had laying around. The smaller bottles from Walmart in the craft section) and put the colors I wanted on a coated paper plate. Using a sea sponge, I would paint each brick until I liked the way it looked. It looks harder than it is. With the texture of the joint compound makes it easy to paint and make it look like real brick.

More painting! Then I ‘grouted’ between each ‘brick’ using caulking I found with textured pieces in it that actually looks like cement. It is called Red Devil EPC stucco patch. Bought it at Menards. I bought 4 thinking I would probably take one back. Wrong! I used all 4. It really makes it look real! Then I put a matted glaze over the brick ( I had that in the garage from another project) to further seal everything. Maybe overkill- but I only want to do this one time! I don’t want flaking down the road.

Finally finished!!
Finally finished!!

From start to finish- it took me a week. Working day and evening.

Done!
Done!

The vaulted part was the hardest. I don’t like heights- so I would keep my mind on the task and not look down!! Ta da! Done and I love the look! Now if it cracks in the future, it will just be part of the brick and hopefully won’t be noticeable.

• Grandma Ali

Very inspiring, and it looks great. I'm worried about the recurring crack, tho. Have you ever had it looked at? It could be the foundations moving!!

• Sonja

The problem was fixed in the summer. Just fixing the issues left behind. Thank you ☺️

• Tonjapayne

I have always wanted to do this. As we have recently bought a house and it has a fireplace I now have the perfect wall. I was thinking of getting a brick stencil and putting it on a thick card board and using it as a stencil so the thickness of my brick would be there. I've done this with smaller pieces but was nervous about a whole wall. How do you think this might work?

• Tonjapayne

I just am wanting to get the bricks thick. I dont see how you did without useing anything.vi will proubly make my own stencil basicly the same way you figured out the way you wanted your brick and rough it out so the lines arent strait. I love the way yours turned out. Very realistic.

• Tonjapayne

Between the gardner and dealer have you had any problems with flacking or or anything falling off the wall? This is so pretty. I want to do it more then ever now.

• Sonja

It’s been 2 months since I finished the brick wall. I’ve had company come and go, people touch it and can’t believe it’s not real. So- to answer your question, so far, nothing is flaking, chipping or anything. I will keep u posted to see if anything happens. By sealing it and taking the steps to make sure I did everything I could to avoid future issues, I think it will be fine. Thank you, ☺️

• Joanne

This is absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it and sure wish I was young enough to do this myself. You do great work!

• Misty

This looks AhMazing!! I Love it!! Favorite one I’ve seen!!