Christmas Gnomes

$20

I love Christmas Gnomes. There is just something about these faceless characters with the big noses that make me smile every time I see them. So much so I wanted to make my own. I'm not talking little tiny sock ones, I wanted something big. So in the middle of the night when I do my best thinking it came to me. Tomatoe cages! Yes you heard me. The rest as they say is history. This project is so easy you can make them in an afternoon and everything you need can be purchased from your Dollar store.

So here are the supplies you will need to get going on your gnome. Tomato cage, one grey fleece blanket, grey fluffy socks, small kids red mittens, self adhesive Velcro, long Santa hat, Santa head with beard, large styrofoam ball, flesh colored paint, scissors and some plastic bags.

Take your fleece blanket and cut in half, it is easier to work with. Stand your tomato cage upside down and take your blanket and wrap around to measure. Cut to desired length.

Once cut, lie tomato cage on its side and cut your self adhesive Velcro the length of the blanket. Remove backing from one side and press along edge of blanket. Remove backing from the other side of Velcro and wrap blanket around to meet the other side. Press together firmly. Set aside.

Take your fluffy socks and using plastic bags stuff your socks leaving about an inch from the top unstuffed. Take your red mittens and put over the stuffed toe of the socks. Repeat steps with other sock. You now have two arms.

Take a needle and thread and attach your arms to the body.

Next you are going to paint your styrofoam ball flesh color. Once dry take a piece of wire about 3 inches long and stick into styrofoam ball.

Next you are going to cut a small slit in your blanket and stick your wire through the whole. Wrap wire around the tomato cage to secure.

Next you are going to take your Santa hat and stuff with plastic bags. Once stuffed place your hat on your tomato cage and pull down as far as it will go. Now you are going to take the Santa head with the beard and stuff up inside the hat so that all you can see is the beard. Arrange around the nose.

You should now have your own cute , not so little Christmas gnome. I made 3 out of one blanket. You can change the color of the arms by using different color socks and mitts.

Here they are in my front yard. As you can see I stuffed my hats differently for each one. I also had a smaller tomato cage so one is smaller than the other two.

Here is my other little one.

Here they are all together. Aren't they cute? I love how these turned out. I smile every time I see them as does everyone who walks past my front yard.

Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

• Carol Bellinger
    Carol Bellinger

OMG i am in love with Gnomes this year too,,, I love these,, great job,, i am doing this for sure

• Melody Boling Medlock
    Melody Boling Medlock

I am so in love with your gnomes! They are the best I've seen yet, and by now we all have seen a lot of gnomes. I've looked at several of your other projects and now I'm a follower. I love that you reuse and/or repurpose things, you stay cost affective but nothing looks cheap and most of all I love the way your beautiful brain works! Thank you for sharing. If you staked these in the yard would that be enough to keep them securely in place? I live in the mid-west, USA. We usually have the wind chill to factor in just about everyday. I think I would cry if one of my fellas blew away.

• Kristing Jorgenson
      Kristing Jorgenson

I'm gonna put bricks in the bottom of mine. and I found a long grey beard 75 percent off at Walmart to make his beard...:D

• Suzie
    Suzie

This is absolutely darling!!! I want to make a few for my friends too! I just don’t have a clue on how to get the beards??? Any ideas?? Thank you! Love your Talent sis!!!♥️♥️♥️🙏🏼

• Melanie
      Melanie

Hi Suzie, the beards are little Santa heads with a long beard that I tucked up inside the Santa hat. Check your local Dollar stores, that's where I had found mine. You can also use mop heads.