Christmas Gnomes

$20

I love Christmas Gnomes. There is just something about these faceless characters with the big noses that make me smile every time I see them. So much so I wanted to make my own. I'm not talking little tiny sock ones, I wanted something big. So in the middle of the night when I do my best thinking it came to me. Tomatoe cages! Yes you heard me. The rest as they say is history. This project is so easy you can make them in an afternoon and everything you need can be purchased from your Dollar store.

So here are the supplies you will need to get going on your gnome. Tomato cage, one grey fleece blanket, grey fluffy socks, small kids red mittens, self adhesive Velcro, long Santa hat, Santa head with beard, large styrofoam ball, flesh colored paint, scissors and some plastic bags.

Take your fleece blanket and cut in half, it is easier to work with. Stand your tomato cage upside down and take your blanket and wrap around to measure. Cut to desired length.

Once cut, lie tomato cage on its side and cut your self adhesive Velcro the length of the blanket. Remove backing from one side and press along edge of blanket. Remove backing from the other side of Velcro and wrap blanket around to meet the other side. Press together firmly. Set aside.

Take your fluffy socks and using plastic bags stuff your socks leaving about an inch from the top unstuffed. Take your red mittens and put over the stuffed toe of the socks. Repeat steps with other sock. You now have two arms.

Take a needle and thread and attach your arms to the body.

Next you are going to paint your styrofoam ball flesh color. Once dry take a piece of wire about 3 inches long and stick into styrofoam ball.

Next you are going to cut a small slit in your blanket and stick your wire through the whole. Wrap wire around the tomato cage to secure.

Next you are going to take your Santa hat and stuff with plastic bags. Once stuffed place your hat on your tomato cage and pull down as far as it will go. Now you are going to take the Santa head with the beard and stuff up inside the hat so that all you can see is the beard. Arrange around the nose.

You should now have your own cute , not so little Christmas gnome. I made 3 out of one blanket. You can change the color of the arms by using different color socks and mitts.

Here they are in my front yard. As you can see I stuffed my hats differently for each one. I also had a smaller tomato cage so one is smaller than the other two.

Here is my other little one.

Here they are all together. Aren't they cute? I love how these turned out. I smile every time I see them as does everyone who walks past my front yard.

15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?

• Cathy Lee

What else could the beard be made from, not able to find the santa head? Sooo cute😊

• Carol Bellinger

OMG i am in love with Gnomes this year too,,, I love these,, great job,, i am doing this for sure

• Melody Boling Medlock

I am so in love with your gnomes! They are the best I've seen yet, and by now we all have seen a lot of gnomes. I've looked at several of your other projects and now I'm a follower. I love that you reuse and/or repurpose things, you stay cost affective but nothing looks cheap and most of all I love the way your beautiful brain works! Thank you for sharing. If you staked these in the yard would that be enough to keep them securely in place? I live in the mid-west, USA. We usually have the wind chill to factor in just about everyday. I think I would cry if one of my fellas blew away.

• Melanie

Hi Melody, first off thanks so much for your kind words. I don't believe in spending a lot of money on projects and I love being able to bring new life into old things that would otherwise be disposed of. Now to the gnomes. To answer your question yes. If you stake them they will upstand windchill. I live in Southern Ontario Canada and we get some severe storms due to close proximity to Lake Ontario in the winter. A peg that can be hammered in the ground works great. Like tent pegs, two or three around the rim at the bottom. I have had these a few years now and they still look great despite the weather.

• Gsc12624500

I made same style but use old bowling balls on top to stop them from blowing over did angels too

• Sandy

I am starting to make mine now so by winter they will be done. What a awesome idea. Sandy