Deb
Deb
Asked 10 hours ago

I have Lavendar seeds. Should I start?

Lynn SorrellFRESHCUTKYEm
+6

• Kim
    9 hours ago

do you mean start growing them?

• Deb
    8 hours ago

Yes, Should I start growing the seeds now in pods to be replanted in my garden this spring. Or, should I wait and plant the seeds in my garden this spring if they are a hardy plant.

• Nancy Turner
    8 hours ago

If you want them to be outdoor plants, I would wait until closer to spring or you will have to repot them many times as they grow before you can plant them outdoors.

• Deb
      7 hours ago

Thank you for your reply to my question. I will wait until January before I plant the seeds thank you.

• Em
    8 hours ago

Start the seed early and place the seed tray on a heat mat or in a warm location so that your lavender seeds germinate well. Rather than a traditional potting mix, use a very light mix or fine vermiculite that drains very quickly. The seedlings will germinate in about two weeks and will take a while to look like lavender. Make sure that the lavender seedlings get sufficient water, but do not let them stay damp, and place them in full sunlight for maximum health.When your lavenders have several sets of leaves on them, put them into their final location, but check them regularly to make sure they have not been knocked over by animals, or dislodged by rain. Once the lavenders are settled in the ground they will grow slowly the first year, but most of them will bloom, and by next year you will have a splendid supply of lavender to plant into a hedge or use as a colorful border for your perennial bed.

• Deb
      32 minutes ago

Thank you for answering my question. I am over anxious to get the lavendar seeds going since I love the smell of lavender. I would like to grow my own, and dry them. They are beautiful.

• Lynn Sorrell
    8 hours ago

Lavender starting indoors(is that what you want to do?) needs cold stratification https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z4yxBvepCk Lavender doesn't do well being transplanted so depending where you live(cold) it needs to be in pots to bring in during winter. Needs good drainage,grown in clay pots,sunshine.

• FRESHCUTKY
    8 hours ago

I would wait until January, then use the winter sowing method. Good luck