Wooden Spool and Christmas Song Ornament

$1

One of my favourite bits about decorating at Christmas is getting out all the old handmade ornaments. They bring back so many memories of Christmases past. I love the ones the kids made at school. Unfortunately, my kids don't make homemade ornaments anymore. But I still do! This year I made some lovely map ornaments (see here) and this fun old cotton thread spool and lyrics ornament.

I just used some old fashioned cotton reels, you know the ones that used to be in the bottom of your grandma's sewing box.

I painted 2 of them red to be more festive. As I liked the writing on the third spool I just rubbed it with dark wax to antique it a bit more.

For the lyrics bit, I printed the lyrics of my family's 3 favourite Christmas songs onto kraft paper. These were White Christmas, Let it Snow and Little Drummer Boy. There are more details on the blog at the end on how to find good script fonts and how to print lyrics in columns.

If you have good handwriting you can of course just write the lyrics out.

The lyrics were then cut into strips the width of the cotton spool. The ends of the kraft paper were cut into a fork shape.

Next, apply glue to the back of the printed(written) lyrics and wrap it around the spool. Leave the last few centimeters of script sticking out.

All that is left to do now is to thread some twine through the spools to hang them from.

You don't have to write lyrics on the scrolls, you can do a "Naughty or Nice" list or anything else Christmassy.

These wooden scroll ornaments would also make a lovely personal gift. You could even write a personal message on the scroll.

You can see many more of my handmade Christmas ornaments and decorations here.

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Patsy

Aren’t thoes just spools of thread or are they bigger.

• Patsy

Sorry I just saw that’s what you called them.