Carol
Carol
  • Arlington, TX
Asked on Dec 8, 2018

How do I care for elephant ears in the ground for winter?

CarolJohnavallance82Ken Erickson
+2

How to winterize elephant ears that are planted in the ground

• Rose Broadway

Carol, it depends on what zone you live in. If the ground stays warm, you can leave them where they are. I am in the Kamsas City Missouri area where we have winters below zero sometimes. I have to dig my bulbs in the fall, then replant in the spring.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dig+Elephant+ears%3F

• Dianna Zampieri

What you do depends on your agricultural zone. If you live in a zone 6 - 3, you have to dig them up and replant next year. If you live in a zone 6.5 - 9, no worries if they get direct sun that keeps the ground from freezing as deeply as they are planted. Did you know that they make wonderful house plants, too? You could dig them up and plant them in a pot to enjoy all winter.

• Ken Erickson

Check with your local nursery. They know what works in your climate. I normally only get fried elephant ears to eat at the county fair.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Carol,

Cut them back when the leaf dies or leave till spring as leaves will protect the crown.

• Carol

Thanks everyone for the help..I live in arlington tx which I think is zone 8 so I believe they should be OK in the ground maybe with a blanket over them..