SK on Elderberry
SK on Elderberry
  • Bonners Ferry, ID

From Old Burnt Farm Table To Colorful Workspace With SK

This poor baby was rescued for pennies. After I researched this little heavy, handbuilt table, I discovered the hand carved front drawer panel was from a totally different and destroyed cabinet.
Smoke and burn marks are apparent. I envision this being in a old, beautiful and much loved cabinet. When the fire was extinguished, this little carved piece was all which could be saved.
A beloved piece of someones history was cherished enough to be custom built around.
from old burnt farm table to colorful workspace with sk, painted furniture
This table is built like a brick, well-worn and used. The body, legs and T-support were built from old reclaimed wood. One leg looks like a fence post.The builder wanted to save the hand carved drawer panel, so he built the entire table from old wood to showcase this single feature.
As I started to sand and fill cracks, dents and many worm holes, I discovered under the antique handle a little secret key slot. I am sad we don't have all the wonderful and colorful history it might have been able to tell me.
My client decided she wanted her table to be painted. Red and Cream..
The top will be chippy white and cream and the legs will be antique red.
OK, OK I know what the wood purest are saying. "No, No don't paint that beautiful table...Refinish to it's former glory. Keep it's value."
Folks there was no value. The value is what the owner wants to see and have in her home.
Bright colors. No Please....Chillax, this will not be the finished color.
Several coats of different white and a damask stencil were followed by a coat of lime wash. The top will be finished with a French chicken transfer courtesy of The Graphic Fairy.
I routed the edges of the legs and t-bar to soften the old 4x4's. After the several coats of different reds were dry, I sanded it back and antiqued the entire piece with a dark chocolate glaze.
Positioning the chicken graphic in the center front of the table top.
I have posted simple instructions on how I did this transfer on my blog SK Sartell
http://sksartell.blogspot.com/2014/07/save-antique-details.html
If you are wanting to transfer to a darker image just use a lighter chalk to make your carbon paper.
The transfer was very light. I was able to darken lines and shadows with paint. I added small amounts of highlight color to La Chicken.
Each table top corner received a small vine.
La Chicken is complete.
When the paint and transfer was completely dry I waxed with a clear buffing wax. The actual piece doesn't look this bright. It has aged and antiqued gracefully into an old soft red.
This was a fun revival of a old and forgotten piece.
The care taken by it's original owner testifies to the love in saving a lone carved panel from an original burned cabinet.
The owner is still playing with staging on the table. She loves it against her old brick.
Thanks for visiting. sk

To see more: http://sksartell.blogspot.com/2014/07/save-antique-details.html

• Penny

i luv the opinions of so many talented people.. i luv the fact that they are willing to share the work they do with us..even if it's something i don't really care for, i can appreciate the beauty of the piece and the work and love that went into it! that's it, i've said my peace, i really hope i don't have to repeat myself....carry on sk, the rest of us love and appreciate you!!! :) hugs..

• Cheryl

Wow, I am in awe of your talent and how you finished this piece - thanks for the inspiration!

• SK on Elderberry

@Cheryl Thanks Cheryl. I am now onto a very mixed bag of coolness. Trying to recover an old armchair with canvas which I am going to paint. Dang. I just jinxed it. Show pics when I an am done. sk