Asked on Dec 10, 2018

How do I get rid of mice in my house?

OlivaNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAFrugalFamilyTimes.com
+6

how do you free your house of mice a vacant house ,then they redid it and put all the trash in the back yard then piled in the alley for a long time. I have put all the best rat poison out but they just multiply

• Kathy Gunter Law

First, make sure all mice attractants are cleaned up and/or stored in water tight containers. Soak cotton balls with peppermint oil. It will drive them away. You will have to periodically replace because the smell will fade. You can also spray it but I think in your case the cotton balls will work better. We have a farmhouse that used to have all kinds of mice issues. Now I spray a mixture of peppermint oil & cinnamon oil and not one since July.

• Pamela

You might need to have a pest specialist come out and check out your situation , to make sure your home is not infested . You can go all around the house , inside and out from the basement to the attic and look for any openings and fill them with steel wool . Make sure you don't have any food out at all !!! Garbage taken out each evening. Box things that come in bags , like bread . Good stuff that come in boxes should be put in jars . That said , mice can and will eat just about everything ! 😣

as for poison , you don't want them to eat the poison , then get between the walls and die ... Good luck !!!!

• Gk

You may have to get an exterminator to help you out. You can keep trying with lots of traps, sealing up any points of entry, making sure all tall grass and weeds are cut down near your home. It may take a while.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I feel your pain! We've had this trouble with our mobile home. We recently wrote about the steps we took to get it rodent free: https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/2018/10/how-to-get-rid-of-mice-rodent-proofing.html

• This is more than DIY, call an exterminator and get rid of all the refuse or you will never be rid of them. I am surprised the neighbors haven't complained.

• Oliva

You'll definitely need an exterminator, as it sounds as if peanut baited snap traps won't be sufficient.

Get rid of wood piles, stacked stones, tall weeds and grass. Stop feeding birds, as the seed attracts rodents. No pet food outdoors. Grass seed must be secured in rodent proof, tightly sealed containers.

Clean up all pet feces and secure in tamper proof container for trash pick up. If you grew flowers with seed heads, cut any remaing heads down, to avoid rodent attraction.

Keep your mulch no deeper than 3". If you recently planted grass and it's since sprouted, rake up and bag the remaining hay/straw you used to cover the seed.

Locate any cracks in your siding, foundation, attic, etc. and insert steel wool or copper wool before adding foam type insulation.

Place many, many dryer fabric softener sheets in your garage and inside any stored vehicles, including glove box, under hood, and in trunk. Rodents will chew through hoses and wiring.

You may need hardware cloth metal screening at your eaves, if rodents have gained entry there.