Asked on Dec 10, 2018

How do I cover chip board inside my wardrobe and shelves?

Jason T. LeeNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAJanice
+4

How do I cover the chip board inside my wardrobes & shelves? It requires something to stop the chip board from continually making a mess which looks similar to sawdust

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can seal it with polyurethane if you like the look.

It can also be painted. You will see the texture.

You might try wallpaper that is pre-pasted and add glue for pre-pasted paper but I'm not sure how well it will stick due to the sawdust mess you mentioned.

• I would seal it and then cover it with contact paper.

• Liz Heighway

Thank you Kathy & Ann for your suggestions....think I’ll go with the polyurethane look.

• Simple Decorating Tips

I think just priming it and painting it would help. I'd be sure to use a good bonding primer like this one, to be sure it stuck well to the board.

• Janice

You can seal it with a shellac or varnish and stop the flaking. Or you can paint it with a primer as well.

• Prime and paint or cover with contact paper. I vote for painting. Easier to clean.

• Jason T. Lee

The most attractive fix is a venere. Apply a venere to the surface to make it look like a different material all together. A thin wood venere is a common choice because it works so well. You buy venere from your local lumber yard. It goes on with contact cement and lasts a lifetime. https://youtu.be/BeFzAPik_68 this video should help