How can I put tile over linoleum?

+4
  • Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Dec 10, 2018

Hi Sandy,

You probably shouldn't. Check out this article & what it says about it:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/need-remove-linoleum-before-laying-tile-66961.html

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Dec 10, 2018

If you are going to leave it, them you will need to lay cement board over the linoleum first. It will need to be screwed down to the existing floor. Then lay the tile over that.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Dec 10, 2018

Sandy - for best results, I'd pull the linoleum up first and properly prepare the surface for tile. You don't want to do all that work with bad results because you skipped a step.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 10, 2018

Hi Sandy,

It is probably best to remove the linoleum, tile needs a strong backing to be bonded to.

• William William on Dec 10, 2018

You sure can. If the linoleum is smooth, stable, and in good condition. Clean the linoleum well. For ceramic tile use tile mastic as thinset will not hold to the linoleum. This was done in my daughters bathroom over sheet vinyl and has held up well over eight years. Peel and stick vinyl planks or square tile can also be used.

• Susan Oglesby Canny Susan Oglesby Canny on Dec 10, 2018

You can, but you risk the linoleum coming up and loosening the tiles

• Sandy Sandy on Dec 10, 2018

Thank you all