How do I resurface nonleather boots?

I've got this great pair of red fake leather boots. The sole is in perfect shape but the surface of the boot where it wrinkles is coming off showing white places. I painted them recently with a water based paint that matched perfectly but in the first wearing the paint started chipping off and showing white again. Am I just out of luck? Is there some kind of rubber paint I could be using? These are really comfortable boots and did I mention, they're red!

• Love red boots! Unfortunately they may have had their last ride. Once the faux stuff starts to peel and flake, they are pretty much done. You can try to dye the white bits with a paint brush to buy you some time to find a new pair. Another option would be to embellish them to disguise or camouflage the worn areas. Head over to a fabric or craft and hobby store and browse the notions section for trim, braiding, chain, whatever floats your boat to artfully wrap around or glue on.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Dec 10, 2018

Touch them up with Red Sharpies it'll last longer comes in so many colors you'll find something to match.