Christmas Tree Makeovers!

$20

You can transform any tree into something amazing. That's right! No matter what that tree looks like, you can give it an epic upgrade.

This post is how I make my workshop trees. I live in Japan where Christmas is very popular, but christmas trees...not so much. Most of my students don't have a tree in their house for these three reasons.

1. There's not enough space

2. Trees are too expensive

3. It's too

christmas tree makeover

These are the finished trees. I made three styles to choose from:

1. Rustic
  2. Black & Silver
  3. Blue Tinsel
christmas tree makeover

I started out with what you see in this picture.

-Tree

-Greenery

-Pinecones

-Ornaments

-Ball picks

-Hot glue gun w/ glue sticks

-Scissors

-Lacquer spray paint

-Twine (not used)

These trees are on the thin side, so I bought some greenery to cut and glue to the Christmas tree branches. The end result is perfect!

christmas tree makeover

First you'll spray the tree. I used lacquer spray paint and didn't try any other kind. This paint will not flake or scratch off of the tree.

I put down a tarp and used a piece of thin plywood to block the breeze.

The colors I used for each tree:

Rustic: Gold followed by White

Black&Silver: Black followed by White

Blue Tinsel: White

You don't need to wait for the first color to dry before spraying on the second color.

christmas tree makeover

This is the rustic tree: Gold followed by White.

I glued the greenery and ornaments onto the black & silver and blue tinsel tree before spray painting them.

christmas tree makeover

There is a mind blowing difference once you paint a tree!

christmas tree makeover

I glued everything in place so the trees are easily unpacked and stored. I know this takes the fun out of decorating, but it was one of the big reasons for parents not having a tree to begin with. I left plenty of room for more ornaments too.

To secure the ornaments:

-Glue the caps to the ornaments

-Tie the ornaments to the tree

-Glue the cap to the underside of the branch

-Cut the extra string from the ornament knot.

christmas tree makeover

These are awesome things that'll spruce up your tree.

1. Greenery! Any kind of greenery will work. Just cut it and glue it to the branches.
  2. Natural pinecones for the rustic trees.
  3. These are natural pinecones with a shot of white spray paint for the blue tinsel trees.
  4. Snow covered pinecones for the black & silver trees. These can be made by gently rolling this type of pinecone in glue and then something coarse like sand and then spray painting it. I've also use shredded bits of paper for bigger flakes. Lucky for me, these are now sold like this.
christmas tree makeover

Add accents with beads or cotton balls. Ball picks can be used too.

christmas tree makeover

The finished trees!

christmas tree makeover
christmas tree makeover
christmas tree makeover

One of the trees in its box.

christmas tree makeover

Awesomeness!

For more fun stuff, check us out on Facebook or Instagram!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• Kristen Perachio

Where did you get the small tree and it’s size

• Cheri Tanner

Did you decorate all around the whole tree? Very pretty. Did you take the ribbon and just tuck it in every few inches?

• Bryan's Workshop

Hello Cheri! Yes, I decorated around the whole tree leaving enough room for other ornaments. Yes, to the ribbon too. They're all one length and wrap around the tree starting at the base. I tuck it in every few inches.

• Tessa

Your trees're beautiful! Why do you initially spray the trees with lacquer paint? To keep the 'needles' from shedding? Thank you!

• Bryan's Workshop

Hello Tessa! Out of the box, these trees look super artificial. The spray paint really fixes that. Lacquer spray paint adds a nice professional/expensive looking finish. It also dries quickly. In as little as 20 minutes.