Asked on Dec 11, 2018

How do I clean my 40 year old grout?

JacxLeahKay Arnette
+8

All of sudden, in patches of my shower stall, the grout is turning yellow, and I am unable to clean it, even with a toothbrush.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

Spritz with straight Clorox, let it sit for a couple of hours, keep adding to it, , them scrub with a brush and soft scrub.

• Henri
      Henri

Thanks! I already tried the soft scrub but I'll try the straight bleach.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Polyblend #381 Bright White 8 oz. Grout Renew Colorant at the Home Depot. About $15.

• Pamela
    Pamela

If you have tried cleaners with bleach and it is still discolored, you might need to re grout...

• Kay Arnette
    Kay Arnette

get a correct tool from the hardware ,store and something that will help loosen the gorut, and in small sections pull old grout out wait until it dries and regrout it's the only way . I have tried a lot of ways did not work. Maybe you can ask the hardware man to. Well good luck hard long work They also have really good grout cleaner.

• Henri
      Henri

Hey, that is worth a try. I'm going to try a few more cleaners, and then try regrouting just in the areas. Thanks!

• Leah
    Leah

KrudKutter is a great product, and it might work. Buy the undiluted.

• Leah
    Leah

You want Krud Kutter original concentrate.

• Jacx
    Jacx

You might try hydrogen peroxide. Mix a paste w cornstarch then spread it on. Put paper towels w more peroxide on top. Cover w cling film. Tape area. This keeps it wet while this bleach works. I have saved so much stained marble this way! No matter what you do once done you MUST SEAL THE GROUT! It is a porous cement mix and the sealer wears off. If you ever get it redone professionaly get an acrylic grout. No sealer needed. Good luck.