How do I stencil a quote onto a painted canvas board?

+6

How to stencil a quote to a canvas board that has been painted. Stencil either bleeds thru or around. I don’t want to use stick on letters, they look boring. Any suggestions?

• To Work With My Hands To Work With My Hands on Dec 10, 2018

Hi Kristi,

You can absolutely stencil on a painted canvas! There's a few things to keep in mind. First, you'll get the best results if you use stencil brushes. They're made specifically for stenciling, and you'll get better results right off the bat by using them. Are you securing your stencil somehow? I personally don't prefer the spray adhesives, but find painters tape around the edges to work beautifully. Stenciling is a dry-brushing technique. You really want to offload a good bit of paint before you start. You can always go over an area again with a second coat, but if you have too much paint in your brush, that's a sure way to get bleeding under the edges.

Here's a stencil post you may find helpful: https://www.toworkwithmyhands.com/2018/08/how-to-make-a-cute-and-easy-tile-planter.html

Best wishes on your project!

• Rebecca Taylor Rebecca Taylor on Dec 10, 2018

Hi Kristi, You could cover it in mod podge first to seal the surface.

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 10, 2018

Hi Kristi. I'm Cindy. Begin by looking on line to find a font that you like. Print it out in the size that works well on the canvas. Tape it to the back of your canvas and place a strong light behind it. Then working on the front of the canvas, copy the letters in chalk. After you paint inside the chalk letters, you can remove any chalk lines with a clean damp cloth. Good luck Kristi and Happy Holidays.

• Kristi Kristi on Dec 11, 2018

I really like that idea!! I was think about trying to use chalk some how. Thank you so much!

• Natalie Natalie on Dec 11, 2018

You can trace the stencil on and then paint it with some acrylic paint and a small paint brush! If it's a paper, you can use graphite paper under the paper stencil to transfer the pattern onto the canvas.