How can I add curtains to these?


I just moved into a new apartment and there’s these tracks and small things to hang curtains but I haven’t a clue how I can hang them up. Does it need a specific type of curtain? What kind of hooks could I use?

q how can i add curtains to these
q how can i add curtains to these
  10 answers
  • Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Dec 11, 2018

    I don't believe those are meant for curtains. Those are the holders for those vertical blinds that were popular a while back. Each little doohickey would hold the long strip coming down. You'd be better off removing it and maybe using a tension rod if you don't want to make holes.

    • See 2 previous
    • I agree. They look like vertical blinds once hung there. I would personally use a spring tension rod over it (to hide) or if that's kinda like a valance, then behind it. Ask your landlord if you can remove it.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 11, 2018

    Hi Sara! They look the type of curtain rod that need hooks. I've only seen them with pleated curtains Here's an example of what I am talking about:

  • Swinnen Lisette Swinnen Lisette on Dec 11, 2018

    The hooks you use are in a form of spirals (a bit like paperclips). On your curtains there should be a special ribbon where you can hook in those spirals and then trough those holes in the plastic things

  • V Smith V Smith on Dec 11, 2018

    Those are not for verticle blinds they are for the hooks that are pushed into the header of pinch pleated drapes. So they can "ride/slide" open and closed on the traverse rod. There are different types of hooks that can be used. There are drapery hooks that just slide under the header at each pleat, and there are sharp pointed drapery hooks that are pushed into the fabric. There is also a multi pronged drapery hook that is meant to go into a special drapery tape that creates a pinched pleat in the fabric. It can be a little expensive to buy pleated drapes. I would suggest that you seek out the drapery hooks that stick thru the fabric. Then you can hang regular curtains. If you sew you can make your own drapes. Ikea also has a curtain system that works with hooks and tracks. Bed Bath and Beyond might also have what you need. If none of this works for you and your budget you can change the slides and get slides that have a little clips to hold the fabric of your curtains. Google "traverse rod" and you will get all the info you need.

    • See 1 previous
    • V Smith V Smith on Dec 13, 2018

      The clips are Riktig. The clips are designed to slide across a wire, but they look open enough to go into a traditional traverse rod and you can clip any fabric or curtain to them. They are $4 for 24 clips.

  • James James on Dec 11, 2018

    The above answer is nearly correct. We have pleated curtains that were custom made and they have a very simple wire hook with one end sharp so you can poke it into the stiffener at the pleat. Our rod has two sets, one for the drape and one for the shear. Both sets have cords out one side to allow you to open and close either set. I think I got some spares at Home Depot. Hope this helps.

  • Tess Tess on Dec 11, 2018

    Since this rod seems to be behind the valance, why not try shower curtain hooks (the metal kind) and grommet topped curtains.

  • Melanie Melanie on Dec 12, 2018

    You can purchase these hooks at Walmart in the section where curtain rods are. They are for curtains with pleats. As stated one part slides up into the curtain and there is a tiny hook shape on the other end that goes into those sliders in the picture. You can also purchase your pleated curtains there.

  • Oliva Oliva on Dec 12, 2018

    You may be able to locate the original (and significantly better constructed) drapery hooks for pinch pleated curtains. Rather than having a sharply pointed end, these hooks were custom curved with curled edges that fit quite neatly into the openings of the pleats, and would not cause damage to fabrics. Kirsch used to make them, when they were made in the U.S.A. . You may find them in antique stores or on-line. You will immediately notice the difference, because these were designed for heavier weight draperies, and were available in lengths of 3", 4" or 5", dependent upon the depth of the pinch pleats.

  • Dee Dee on Dec 12, 2018

    Those are old fashioned curtain hooks. You can probably find those little metal hooks at a fabric store like JoAnns or on line. I actually have some If you lived close I would give them to you. The hooks come in different lengths and are pinned to the back of the curtains then inserted into the hook. I just looked on Amazon and they sell 58 hooks for $5.49 hope this helps

    • Sara Laya Sara Laya on Dec 13, 2018

      I'm definitely going to look into those! Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

  • Virginia Virginia on Nov 20, 2019

    Curtain hooks

Your comment...