Asked on Dec 11, 2018

How can I grow "New Jersey" tomatoes?

Deanna NassarJoy30150932Fiddledd224

I am born and raised in NJ. Just moved to Fl. and miss my Jersey tomatoes. What can I do to get the great taste of home from my tomatoes.

• Fiddledd224

As a Jersey Girl I can tell you that NJ soil has a high sand content...mix some into your soil. Enjoy.

• Joy30150932

Tomatoes like good quality soil with a little Epsom salts watered in occasionally. When planting, take a wad of newspaper, soak it in a pail of water and put in the bottom of the hole and then put your plant in. You can also use good compost. This helps to prevent the tomatoes from cracking due to fluctuations in the watering. There are also fertilizers you can purchase for this purpose.

• Deanna Nassar

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/nj/soils/

Maybe this will help. Also I go back to the original stock. Try Rutgers Big Boys and the original Beefsteak. I find many hybrids are tasteless and have some problems such as blossom end rot.