How to Paint Fabric Furniture Easily

$100

Do Dodson Designs did a fabulous paint job on this couch! Painting fabric furniture is so much fun and way easier than reupholstering, not to mention less expensive.

how to paint fabric furniture easily

This old gal will be living in a beauty salon greeting customers as they come in. But before anyone can curl up on this sofa, we gotta get her dyed up. Let’s get this color job started!

how to paint fabric furniture easily

Before applying the paint to the fabric, I dampened the fabric to allow the fibers to open and accept the paint. A spray mist water bottle was the perfect tool for the job. I lightly misted the fabric in small areas as I painted. It also dilutes the paint to become more like a dye.

how to paint fabric furniture easily

I applied the first coat of chalk mineral paint and allowed it to thoroughly dry, usually overnight. Then I lightly sanded it with a 220 grit sandpaper. It’s important to sand between coats of paint to keep the fabric soft and not crunchy. Remove any dust with a cotton cloth. The second coat was applied the same way. I lightly misted the painted furniture fabric with water before applying the second coat. 

how to paint fabric furniture easily

The fabric was sealed with two coats of Dixie Belle's Easy Peasy Spray Wax. I sprayed the first coat on the fabric and allowed it to dry. After it dried I buffed it with a soft cloth. The second coat was applied the same way. You can apply more wax depending on the traffic your piece will be getting. The feel of the fabric is now like a soft leather, NOT CRUNCHY! I love it! 

how to paint fabric furniture easily

Bunker Hill Blue was stippled on over Mermaid Tail on the wood parts of the sofa. I added Warm Gold Gilding wax to the details with my finger tip to really make them stand out.

how to paint fabric furniture easily

I really love the contrast of the navy and teal with gold accents. A sofa fit for a queen! The fabric now has a soft leather-like feel too.

• Mermaid Tail Chalk Mineral Paint  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/mermaid-tail-chalk-mineral-paint/)
  • Cotton Chalk Mineral Paint  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/cotton-chalk-mineral-paint/)
  • Bunker Hill Blue Chalk Mineral Paint  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/bunker-hill-blue-chalk-paint/)
Dixie Belle Paint Company

• Oops. I already put this up here but on the wrong post. Sorry ! Here’s my question :

“They also don’t say what kind of fabric this is unless I missed it. I want to paint my old velvet chair but hear it can ruin velvet/velour. True ?”

• Hi Suzzanne! Painting your velvet chair will not ruin it! The only change in technique I might say would be to go in different directions with your brush when you're painting so you don't push all of the velvet down in one direction. Hope this helps!

• Monica.allen

I really want to try this I inherited this couch and it is in great condition but has a few stains on it and the matching chair also I’m worried about the buttons do you think it would be ok to paint them?

• Hi Monica! The paint will cover the stains and they should not bleed through. The buttons would be fine to paint! You could even do a different color on them or gilding wax to really make them pop!

• Elizabeth
    4 hours ago

Can you use a different type of paint. Like laytex wall paint?

• Hi Elizabeth! It is possible that you might be able to use that, but we have only tried using our Chalk Mineral Paint so we cannot tell you if it will work or not. Chalk Mineral Paint does work so we'd definitely recommend trying that!