Asked on Dec 12, 2018

How can I remove a broken light bulb that is still half in the socket?

Lynn SorrellBetty Albright-BistrowBill
+5

• Jeanine Elizalde
    Jeanine Elizalde

Potato. Cut a potato in half, carefully push it against the broken bulb then turn. Works every time.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Hi Bill,

What you do is turn off the power to that socket, get a bar of soap that will fit into the light bulb that is stuck. Push the bar of soap into the fractured light bulb and twist it out of the socket, replace the bulb and turn on the power.

Best to you.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Cut a potato in half and gently push the potato against the broken glass. Then you can twist the potato and remove the broken bulb.

• Mona Blake
    Mona Blake

Turn off the power at the power box. Be dure there is no power! Use plyers.

• Bill
    Bill

In response to all the help thank you ....but I have one of those curvy light bulbs broken still hanging on and still works but is broken from twist in metal portion

• Chris Gignac
      Chris Gignac

Be sure to unplug the lamp and do not work it. If you keep twisting the bulb you will create a contact outside the globe. That will surely blow the fuse in the fuse box or worse.

• Betty Albright-Bistrow
    Betty Albright-Bistrow

Hi Bill. I have had that happen before and I hope never again! Here is some helpful information and good luck to you!

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/5-ways-to-safely-remove-a-broken-bulb-from-a-socket/

https://www.thespruce.com/remove-base-of-broken-lightbulb-2175008

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

Turn off/unplug electric for starters;what is it stuck in? lamp,can light,can you hold onto outside fixture for leverage?only thing I can think of is xtra-long nose big pair of needle nose pliers & break off rest of glass part then with needle nose grab one of the openings where the glass spiral goes in and try to twist it out. Maybe holding needle nose pliers at angle and pushing against it to turn it might work better(do you know what I mean)