Asked on Dec 12, 2018

How do I clean a fiberglass shower?

Karen ThorneBijousJohnavallance82
+5

I inherited my mothers 40+ year-old mobile home, and the master bath has one of those wretched fiberglass shower surrounds with the built-in benches in each corner. We will eventually tear the surround out, but I would love to know how to clean the darn thing for now.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Buy "wet and forget shower" and spray it down once a week. It is a no scrub cleaner that is a fine spray mist. You can use it more often in the beginning to get it clean. I bought it at Lowe's but have seen it on QVC and walmart.com. Here's the video link:

https://www.qvc.com/Wet-%26-Forget-64oz-Weekly-Spray-and-Rinse-Shower-Cleaner.product.V34579.html?sc=SRCH

• Johnavallance82

Hi Cheryl, Try cleaning with Bathroom cleaner that gets rid of Soap Scum, maybe try Barkeeper Friend.

• Cheryl

Thanks for your help. I have used Barkeeper's Friend. It does an okay job.

• Bijous

Hi. Time was we didn't know any better and used abrasive cleaners on the fiberglass. It etched into the shower and now dirt is stuck in the fine lines. Ventilate the room well, wear gloves and use a gel toilet boil cleaner. Rub the cleaner all over the walls, seats and floor. Allow it to sit for at least 2 hours. Rinse clean. Then use a car paste wax on the seats and walls -- Never on the Floor. Going forward use mild cleaners.

• Karen Thorne

For hard water nothing beats vinegar. I would first spray it down with straight vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes. Wipe it down. Rinse thoroughly. Then spray with bathroom cleaner for the soap scum. Let sit a few. Wipe down. Make sure you ventilate the bathroom when doing this. The odors are strong.

• Cheryl

Thank you for your help. I will definitely try both the vinegar and cleaner.