Asked on Dec 12, 2018

How and what type of awning should I build?

Joan StanleyLonny ReeverSusan
+12

I have a big shed out back that I want to build an attached covered parking area for my seadoos and anything else I want to leave outside. Never built on and not sure where I should start or attach the roof tho the shed?

This is the side I want to install a cover/roof/awning.

Front of shed

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Continue the roof line as if it were part of the original structure. You want to make sure the water can continue to run off so it will be just slightly lower the the "bend" on the roof line.

• Jimmy
      Jimmy

Thank you for your reply and suggestions! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

• Lorraine
    Lorraine

Yes, Kathy, at a slant. Jimmy, you could even go to the ground. I don’t know how to build it, but it seems like an easy design. Leave open on bothe front and back. Also, for esthetics , place on side away from the view of house!

• Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

The roof should fit underneath the present roof so water runs off and not inside. You need to install a header board as close to the top as you can leaving room for the roof materials to fit under the overhang. You can hang the rafters 2X4 or 2X6 the same way you hang the boards for a deck using the metal holders. You will need a sturdy wall frame made from 2x4's which will actually be installed first. so the rafters can slide over top of the front edge board. Be sure to have solid footings so the addition does not sink into the ground and create other problems for you. The best thing to do is to sit down with pencil and paper and draw up a sketch as to what you want along with the length, height and width. Measure everything carefully a couple of times to make sure it will all fit together. If you have a carpenter friend, ask for advice. The prep work is the most important of any project. Once the roof rafters and the studs are up you can think about closing it in with 1/2 inch plywood or other board, Think about what kind of door you want too before construction starts. After the door installation you can think about matching the exterior to the present shed.

• Jimmy
      Jimmy

So the barn style roof line makes it difficult on where to attach the header and new roof. I'm guessing it all depends on how high I want the roof and keeping with a slant for water run off.

• Rozmund
    Rozmund

All of the above thoughtful responses are good..I am thinking of the prevailing winds and their direction in your area..as to exactly where the door "perhaps even a discarded garagle door" should go...as for removing from view of the primary home..the shed at every entrance could be dressed up with cedars, planter boxes, and even Xmas lights especially nice if in time you match the siding...Roz

• Jimmy
      Jimmy

My yard is 2 acres and this is at the back of the lot in the back yard. I agree, going to make this as nice looking as possible :)

• Susan
    Susan

Lots of places in Texas you will need a building permit. Double check, because if you do you will need to build to code. Even if you are in the country, you may be in an area subdivided that has building code requirements. Good luck!

• Lonny Reever
    Lonny Reever

I would look into a prefab carport building that would stand next to the shed but free standing, this way you don't have to worry about leaks into the shed. You would also be able to get any height you want without worrying about where to fasten to the shed roof. You can find many different types on the Internet. They come disassembled and all you have to do is assemble the according to the directions.

• Jimmy
      Jimmy

Hey Lonnie,

Thank you for the suggestions.. I prefer to build one that matches the look of the shed. It will be cheaper than buying a metal carport.... and looks better.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family!

• Joan Stanley
    Joan Stanley

Agree with all answers. The roofline on the side is perfect. You'll just adjust the angle of the slant so the lowest edge is as close to 6 ft from the ground as possible but still having good drainage. 3 support beams and rafters 18" apart. Use a good quality roofing foundation, not just ply wood, to put the shingles on.

You can lay a cement block floor to avoid mud seeping in underneath.