Asked on Dec 12, 2018

How do I remove hardened grease stains on fry pans and utensils?

BetsyKaren | Decor HintKathy Gunter Law
+2

My fry pans and cookware seem to develop a hard black grout that does not seem to come off in the wash. How do I remove it without scraping the non stick surface?

• Phyllis Wolper

Vinegar and water. For stubborn spots, I place a paper towel soaked in the solution and add a little Dawn dishwashing liquid to it.

• Oh dear? How are you washing your pots and pans?

For the utensils, I would soak them in the sink with hot water, dawn dish soap, 2 cups of vinegar and 3 or 4 heaping tablespoons of baking powder.

For the pans, use a similar mixture of water, vinegar and baking soda. Set on stove and bring it to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes or so. See if that helps.

Or you can try EZ Off oven cleaner.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Scrub Daddy is a great sponge that you can use for scrubbing without damaging the surface. I have bought them at Lowe's and QVC. If you use cold water, they remain very stiff and good for scrubbing. Warmer water will soften but will go back to stiff in cold water.

• Karen | Decor Hint

Cream of tartar (found in spice aisle of grocery stores) always takes off those stubborn grease stains for me. It doesn't work with every pan but for the ones it does work for - it just comes right off without any effort. I mix a bit of cream of tarter with water and just scrub.

Hi Amber: This is my go to and has been for years. It really works: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste and put it on the gunk. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not.

Good luck.