How To Bleach Pinecones and Create a Holiday Wreath

$20

Have you ever got inspired by somethig your saw in a magazine and had to have it now! I absolutley did when I saw a bleached pinecone wreath in a magazine. I gathered all the pinecones that I collected from my walks with my dog. I have bleached pinecones before but I nevered made a wreath from them. It does take about 40 pinecones for this size.

how to bleach pinecones and create a holiday wreath

Step One: Bleach process

1. Gather the pinecones.
  2. Place them in a solution of bleach and water. Add 2 cups of bleach to 2 gallon of water.
  3. Let the pinecones soak for two days.
  4. Place a few bricks over them to prevent them from floating to the top of the solution.
  5.  Check in a day to see the shade of blond. It's almost like dyeing your hair blond the longer you keep the dye the lighter the color. The longer you keep the pinecones in the bleach the blonder the pinecones are.

Step Two:

Rinse the pinecones with water and let dry outside for 24 hours. Any pinecones that are still wet, place them in the over at 200 degrees for 2 hours to dry.

Step 3: Making The Wreath.

1. Once the pinecones open up, your can cut them in half using a garden hand pruner.
  2. Use gloves for this process because the pinecones can prick your hands.
  3. Glue to a twig wreath. Make sure the pretty end of the cut pinecones is glued to the wreath. I glued two rows of them.The glue stick works well.

Once the pinecones dried I tied a big blue bow. So pretty!

Simple Nature Decor