Asked on Dec 13, 2018

How do I repair or paint rust under body of a 2009 auto?

Judi1Lynn SorrellNancy Turner
+7

UThe bottom of my 2009 honda crv shows a great amount of rust. The car has been outside and and driven only for short trips. Is there anything i can do to minimize or slow down the rust accumulating under the car body metal components?Thanks

• Judy
    Judy

Michael my dad always told me to wash the salt off ASAP!

I'm sure a body shop can help but I can’t attest to this process just what good ole dad used to tell me.

• Zard Pocleeb
    Zard Pocleeb

If it is just surface rust you need to sand it off making sure you remove ALL of it then spray it with several coats of primer. If it is rusted through it’s time for a body shop.

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

Frequent car washes that also include underbody during the winter prevents this. I have a 2001 Tahoe that has minimal rust on the underbody because we get the salt washed off in the winter. It is our work horse vehicle and winter driver for iffy days in the winter for my son who just bought a new Mustang this fall. It is his first new car purchase, he had been leasing cars for years, but didn't like the ones he was offered for lease this year when his lease was up, they were downgrades from what he had. He needs a higher car for when it snows. Where he works doesn't always open up where the road is plowed shut leaving the parking lot. The Tahoe only gets rust on the underside where the various parts are bolted on, the bolts seem to like get to rust around them.

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

Use steel wool to remove rust if not too bad,a little worse heavier grit sanding maybe even need sander, then paint/spray with rustoleum(cheaper) or auto body primer rinse salt from roads off asap after big snows/ice storms. you can can it undercoated depending on how long you expect/need to keep car & how bad weather is where you live & if they use salt/deicers on roads

• Judi1
    Judi1

They also make a rust restorer you can apply after sanding.