Asked on Dec 13, 2018

How can I decorate this open counter space?

DeeJulies1949Conscientious crafter
+9

I have a large kitchen counter that is open to the dinning room table. I lease the home and want make it festive and bright on a very small budget. I'm passionate about cherries/ collect cherry items for kitchen, and enjoy farmhouse styles, black and white photography, driftwoods, and unique wooden cutting boards lots of House plants growing that end up on the countertop.

q how do i create arrangei unique on this open counter space

Counter top in kitchen looking into open dinning room

Counter top for inspiration ideas please and thank you. I have one stool that gets used at counter in between dinner table.

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

What a lovely space to decorate with all the things you're passionate about Christina. If it was me I would make a tiered tray, that gives you lots of "upwards room" to display your cherry collection and it doesn't take up counter space. You can make one using all kinds of things - here are a few tutorials https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=tiered%20tray Put some fairy lights inside the tray for more happy festivness. I'm not sure if you want to decorate the wall on the left hand side of your piccy, but it's the ideal space to hang some of those wooden cutting board of yours and maybe display some of your black and white photography on them with double sided tape. The house plants are the perfect addition to bring everything together. All the greenery with the cherries and black and white photos are going to look lovely

• Linda

It looks like you may have some room to the left of the cabinet. Consider putting some open shelves there and putting your books on the shelves. This will free up some space on your countertops.

• Plants! Always plants :) Golden pothos and snake plants are good areas for darker indoor areas.

• Christina Moore

Oh thank you, However I have so many plants all over the open living area that I would like to put on floating shelves. The tip is great I have not heard of these plants for dark areas. I get really good light in the space but the blinds were all shut. Sun was not up yet.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I think it would look great if you added a garland above the arch... like photo I'm attaching. You can use a green garland and add cherry ornaments. I made these cherry pom poms this summer and they are easy to make and would make great ornaments.

• Conscientious crafter

1) reuse and repurpose whenever possible. borrow, trade or thrift.

2) if those lights are as blinding as they appear in the pics, cover them or replace them, cheaply.

3) lose the paper banner - it isn't a child's Party.

4) declutter.

5) layer.

For holidays, drape Garland made of natural materials, or hang large wreaths.

The rest of the year I would place a small number of larger items rather than a lot of pidly stuff.

Good luck

• Julies1949

Remove all the existing items and use one potted Christmas tree.

• Dee

A poinsettia and some Santas, along with your cherry collection would brighten up the space. I would remove most of what is there for the holidays.