Mike
Mike
  • La Grange, KY
Asked on Dec 13, 2018

How to start a sub way tile layout?

OlivaBeth Roger SteinhoffKelli L. Milligan
+2

want to make sur it looks right when I turn a inside corner and a outside corner

• Mike

Thank you. Your answer was very helpful. I should of stated I am using two different colored tiles. Black and white for a back splash.

• Kelli L. Milligan

You'll have to miter the corners or use bullnose.

• Beth Roger Steinhoff

If you have never done this, I would recommend you hire it done. It is the worst thing I have ever done and I have done it all. I used white 3 inch by 5 inch and said NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

• Oliva

My tiler laid out his pattern starting in the middle, so your smallest cuts are in corners, rather than directly in your "sight line". If you're fortunate, your tile and spacers will lay out perfectly in the space, eliminating many tile cuts.

Always do a dry run, using a washable marker pen or pencil, before commiting to mud and tile, to avoid major disappointment. Remember to allow for spacers between tiles. Further, you want a full tile at bottom and top of wall, before adding listello tiles, bullnose tile, etc.

If you're installing wall niche, research where you want it situated, in terms of how much water will strike it, from the showerhead.

Remember that if you have a shower curtain rod that is drilled into wall, you will need to consider if you'll need to drill into tiles.