Sonya
Sonya
  • Hampstead, NC
Asked on Dec 14, 2018

How do I remove a shower surround?

Brittany @by Brittany GoldwynFred EurieckVimarhonor
+5

how do we take out a shower surround without destroying the walls in a small bathroom?

• Ray Porter

Most of the shower surrounds I have seen are made of fiberglass Sonya. And all of them usually have some type of lip that allows you to either sheet rock over the edge for a smoother look. Check this video out. This may help. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/5lYApOdYLcE

• 2dogal

What is your surround made of? Tile? or ?? How it is removed depends upon what it is made of....

• Vimarhonor

Hello, we were moved our shower surround enclosure - we found ours was glued to the wall with a construction adhesive, causing some destruction of the sheet rock underneath. We ended up replacing the backer board and re-tiling the area upgrading the tub surround that way.

• Fred Eurieck

Surrounds have a flange that is typically screwed into the studs. It’s about 1 1 1/2”. You can cut the drywall at 2” to remove drywall and expose the flange. After removing it you may have to cut it up to get it out of the bathroom.

• You'll need to see how it's attached. I watched how ours was installed, it's unfortunately glued to the tile along the edges that touch the tile with heavy-duty screws going in to the main areas it needs stabilized to stay up. (frameless shower door)

• Sonya

We were notnlocal when our home was built but we installed some tile around the top. I am thinking we will have to cut it into sections to even get it out the door