Pamela Ikasalo
Pamela Ikasalo
  • Kingston, MA

Pinterest Inspired Mirror Redesign

While cleaning out a friends barn I found this mirror hidden and dirty. She had no idea where it came from and was happy to give it to me. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, but then decided to let an exchange student who is living with me decorate it. We searched Pinterest for ideas and this is what we came up with. It was a cross-cultural project!
pinterest inspired mirror redesign, bedroom ideas, crafts, home decor, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
This is the mirror before we started - cleaned and ready to go.
I bought an inexpensive embroidery hoop at Michael's and used the inside to create a circle on the mirror. We painted it and then glued it to the mirror with E6000 glue.
You can see the embroidery hoop glued in the middle. Our next step was to put a very light coat of acrylic paint over the mirror from the circle out. We wanted a "washed out" look. When it was dry we began to play with designs for tiny mirrors bought at Michael's.
The final result.
It now proudly hangs in our students bedroom and when she goes home I will have something that will remind me of her every time I walk in that room.

• Really cool! I don't get where the fill in outside come from though? Embrodery Circle then what's the thick part?

• Pamela Ikasalo

I'm so glad you like the mirror! This is one large mirror that we placed the embroidery hoop in the middle of. Then we painted the mirror that extended out past the embroidery hoop. That's the thick part you see. Post a picture when you're done so I can see your take on this project.

• Bonnie Maries Photo Designs

Oh mine is much different , I was trying to use up little circle and square mirror I have for something. I started trying to copy the star mirrors and came up with this.. have to do better ones..