Jane
Jane
  • Lewes, DE
Asked on Dec 14, 2018

How do I make eyelet pillow shams?

BetsyGkKelli L. Milligan
+2

Eyelet pillow shams with 3 or 4 inch edge to fit king size pillows, made using king size pillow cases.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Jane

You can buy Eyelets and Eyelet tools from craft shops or eBay. Method will be on packaging.

• Kelli L. Milligan

You can buy eyelet lace and just attach to hem

• Gk

Go to your local craft outlet like Hobby Lobby or JoAnn fabric and purchase the eyelet you want. Sew it on. If you are not a sewer you probably know someone who is. It would only take a matter of minutes to complete this job!

Hi Jane: An easy way to do this is to get a pillow case that you like and that fits your pillow and sew your eyelet material on one side of the case. Have the material at least 1" wider on each side so that you can turn under the material along the edges and at least 6" longer so that you can make a 1" hem on the bottom. These 3 sides are attached to the case. There will be 5" left over by the opening. Fold the top edge under 1/2" and then again 1/2 " and sew down. This way you won't have a raw edge. If you want a proper sham, the kind that meets in the middle and has an opening in the back, then you would get a piece of eyelet and a piece of cotton material that is 8" longer than your pillow and at least 2" or 3" wider. You need the extra width to accommodate the thickness of the pillow. Sew the eyelet to the cotton, right sides together, on 1 short and 2 long sides. Turn the entire thing right side out so that the seams are hidden on the 3 sides. Then, make an inside hem on the open end, 1/2" and 1/2" like above, and sew that closed. Now you have what looks line a closed envelope. Fold the end where you can not see the hem, and the eyelet side up, facing you, about 1/2 way up the 'envelope and sew the sides together. Not the bottom, just the sides. Then, fold the other end up past the end you just sewed the sides of and overlap it about 4 or 5 inches or more and sew only the edges. You will be sewing over the edges of the fold you made earlier, and the hemmed end you can see, will be on the inside. Now, turn the whole thing inside out, stick your pillow in and you're finished! and your done, Bob's your uncle! I know this is how it goes because I just made one out of 2 paper towels just to be sure:) I used Viva paper towels, they hold up well when you sew them, along with being terrific for the kitchen:) I'd try this before using your material just to be sure. On one side of the paper towel, make some marks with an ink pen so you know which side is which:) I hope I didn't inundate you with too much information:) Good luck