Bryan
Bryan
  • Jonesboro, GA
Asked on Dec 15, 2018

How can I keep triggers of reused spray bottles from getting stuck?

Unique Creations By AnitaEverything PrettyJanice
+2

Whenever I finish with glass cleaner or any spray bottle I rinse thoroughly and attempt to repurpose it. 9 of 10 times doing this the trigger seems to fail. Any advice or common issue?

• Thelma

Hi Bryan, I use Dawn dishwashing soap, put a little in the bottle, add some extremely hot water, screw the spray head & trigger back on the bottle, then spray the mixture through the head. This cleans out all the sticky gunk inside the sprayer parts so it completely cleans it before it can harden. When I've finished 'washing out' the works, I repeat the process with just plain hot water so everything is thoroughly rinsed. I then turn the bottle upside-down in the dishwasher and stand the sprayer/cap up in the silverware tray in the dishwasher to let them both drain and air dry. The sprayers always work for me. Just make sure you clean them this way every time you empty one.

• Nancy Turner

It depends on what you are repurposing it for. If it is thicker than what was in the bottle originally, it may not be able to pull it through the tube. If it was from Windex, you need to keep to thin liquids. With soapy liquids it is possible that it is collecting and plugging up the opening in the sprayer. If that is the case, try soaking it in really hot water to try to help dissolve or loosen it and use a cup of real hot water to suck up the tube to try to finish dissolving it.

• Janice

Hi Bryan, Thelma's advice is right on. I do the same and reuse the spray bottles. Once in a great while the mechanism just fails, but that's after a LOT of use. Good Luck!

• Everything Pretty

I've found that most spray bottles are made very cheaply. I like to reuse them when I can, but the triggers break.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I know your pain, mine is always with the same product too. I keep a few spare from empty ones for just this occasion.