Asked on Dec 15, 2018

How do I clean a very dirty oven before turning on the self-cleaning?

MMMBetsyOliva
+3

• Vinegar and baking soda is what I use. Or bite the bullet and use EZ Off oven cleaner.

• Rebecca Taylor

Hi Arlene, I would get a towel very damp and lay on the bottom of the oven and let sit for about a half hour to soften things up. Then take a plastic scraper or you could use an old plastic card, spatula etc. and scrape of what you can before you do the self cleaning.

• Oliva

Check out any consumer complaints on using self cleaning mode with your brand/serial number of oven. Some brands have reported "fried motherboards"...a horribly expensive replacement.

Hi Arlene: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste and put it on the gunk, even vertical surfaces. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. Good luck.

• MMM

Why not turn on the self cleaning and see how it does? If it doesn't get it all, then a second self cleaning. If there is still stuff left, try the wet towel method above. I say let the self cleaner clean! :)

My ovens that have had self cleaning do a really good job.