Philly
Philly
  • New Port Richey, FL
Asked on Dec 16, 2018

How do I solve this issue with my new ceiling?

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CANancy TurnerMom2K9
+3

Went for final inspection at our manufactured home after paint and crown molding completed,etc. BEFORE closing.A few issues but this a shocker- Looking down the hall 20' I see an uneven area at the ceiling/wall area about 4'down - a wavy section ,maybe 4-8 inches. I am told by a friend in the know that the issue will require a labor intensiveeffort by somewhat of an expert. Hmmmm

• Laura Cooper

From your description, it sounds like one of the trusses isn't sitting on the top plate OR it was a drywall error. You will need to get eyes in there to know if it's structural or finish.

• Lynn Sorrell

Are you buying or just remoldeled? Don't finalize any/either. If your buying make sure the sellers have it fixed;remodeling call the people back ASAP & have them fix what they have done wrong or not done at all.

• Ken Erickson

I hope you didn't go through with the closing. It should be fixed before you take possession. Many times cheap studs are used and they have a bow in them, so the sheetrock will reflect the defects. This may also indicate that there are other construction problems that are hidden.

• Mom2K9

Don’t sign anything until it is fixed by the builder. Good luck!!

• Nancy Turner

I wouldn't close until you know that the builders are going to remedy the situation. It could get worse over time if it wasn't done right and you may have to fool the bill down the road. They should warranty the work that they did on the house.

• I agree with others! Don't sign final docs until all work is safe and complete. Hire your own building inspector if need be. Better to spend a few hundred dollars now than you footing the bill for thousands down the line. Depending where you live, warranties for manufactured homes are different than stick built homes.

My second home was a new build. On final walkthrough with the punch list, there were a bunch of missing items and fixes. They tried to coerce me to sign and they will come back. Nope nope nope. I flat out refused and reminded them of my background and profession. They had people out the next day.