Asked on Dec 16, 2018

How do I remove stains from hardwood flooring?

Lynn SorrellKen EricksonPatricia
+5

I have an older cat that throws up frequently on my engineered hardwood floors. Even after cleaning it up, there is a stain remaining where it looks like the finish came off. This has ruined my floors! Help!

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

Hi Nancy,

Here is an article I found for you that may help:

https://www.hunker.com/13424000/how-to-clean-vomit-from-wood-floors

• Linda Sikut

Hi Nancy,

I'm Linda and we have engineered wood floors as well. I found an article for you about removing stains, but if the actual finish is removed, I'd call the company who installed it or the manufacturer to get their advice. Good luck!

https://www.luxuryflooringandfurnishings.co.uk/news/how-to/how-to-remove-stains-from-solid-and-engineered-wood-floor

• Patricia

Hi Nancy. Stomach acids will do that to just about any surface. I’m sure YouTube has some tutorials on that subject.

• Ken Erickson

Sorry to hear that. I'd check with the vet. There may be some meds or change in diet that can stop the vomiting. Might be time to put cat down. My daughter's cat was doing the same thing and suffered way too long.

As for the floors - cat vomit shouldn't ruin the floor if cleaned up quickly. However, inexpensive flooring may not have a good surface protection. I would clean the spots with white vinegar and then might try to wipe on some "Wipe-On Poly" to help restore the floor surface. They sell it in quart cans in both satin and gloss that would match your surface shine. It is applied with a rag - easy.

• Nancy

Well, it’s not like she is not taken care of. We have her on several medications that seem to help some but the damage is done. I don’t even want to mention the damage she has done peeing on my leather furniture. I used Clorox down in the crevices for that. At least I can’t smell it anymore.

Anyway, my husband used Boniva on the hardwood which made it worse because it is too shiny with dull spots where she vomited. The hardwood is maple and it wasn’t cheap so I know I won’t be replacing it.

• Lynn Sorrell

Not a whole lot to do-Keep cat out of areas you don't want it puking on yourfurniture,wipe up ASAP, whenever you hear(if your home)that lovely noise just before look asap & find where they have puked, don't use anything with more acid(vinegar) to clean it up baking soda neutralizes the acid,if your gone alot(work) maybe keep cat in warm bathroom since you won't be home to clean up puke then let out with you the times you are there,the marks/spots where the finish has been eaten away from stomach acid you'll probably need to refinish. Lightly sand,restain,clear coat/sealer Brush your cat alot to help remove excess hair the older they get the more hair/fur they loose ingesting it thus puking up more bile & hairballs. Plus brushing is good for both of you especially if you have been gone all day at stressful job & cat has been alone.