Asked on Dec 16, 2018

How do I get rid of a tree?

CribbsStyleLynn SorrellJoy30150932
+6

I'm in a community which will not allow a tree to be cut if it is still alive however, it was planted too close the house (not by us) so it is a danger during storms which could be disastrous. While I would not normally do this, is there a way to encourage its chances of dying so it can be cut down because that will be allowed?

• Mom2K9

If you haven’t already done so, I would talk to the city manager or HOA head and explain the danger of it which should be a bigger concern for them than if it’s alive. Another option could have another authority explain the common sense to cut it down-perhaps a company that cuts down dangerous trees. As for your original question, I’m not sure about that.

• Joy30150932

If your drill some holes into the trunk and put in some used motor oil the tree will slowly die down and die out fully when the oil reaches the roots in the ground. You can then cut it off at the base near the ground. Drill more holes in the stump and fill with Epsom salts to speed up the removal. This will save you from having to dig a huge hole to get it out. In the meantime, trim off any branches you think may damage your home.

• Lynn Sorrell

When you start messing with the perfectly healthy tree it will get weak then just might end up on your house.(Karma?) Have an actual Arborist come and determine if it's an actual possibility/problem,maybe this will relieve some of your fears also,if it is then have it submitted in writing to "Community". What exacatly is "community" HOA, Neighborhood association,city,mobile home park? Do you own the lot/land your home is on?

• CribbsStyle

We have the same exact problem with a tree. If you get something from someone stating that the tree is too close to the house and will cause damage to your foundation, the HOA can't really say anything. You could always say that you will plant a tree somewhere else to replace the one you're cutting down. Or like I do, ask for forgiveness and not permission? LOL