Asked on Dec 17, 2018

How can I refinish a Redwood slab bathroom sink counter?

Kmdreamer2dogalWilliam
+2

How do I finish(refinish) an old Redwood slab bathroom sink counter that has soap and oils in and on it? Do I rub in Teak oil or wax or some other substance?

Thanks,

Maria

• Kelli L. Milligan

If you can clean it well, it would be best to finish it. I'd wash it down with TSP, a

Sand. Put several coats of marine varnish on it, sanding between coats. I'd do 3 coats.

Redwood is tight grained and has high resins in it. Moisture and bug resistant. That makes it one of the best wood for outdoors especially decks. Varnish/polyurethane will not soak into it well and would peel or flake off over time. Teak oil or Danish oil would be a better choice. Put it on with a cloth, let it sit for a while, wipe off the excess. it will protect the wood and bring out the beauty of the grain.

• 2dogal

Unless you clean and sand and deep enough to get the soap and oil stains out, they will continue to show through if you just oil it. After cleaning and sanding, I'd use a few lights coats of clear polyurethane to protect the wood.

• Kmdreamer

I would sand down till top looks nice then pol