Tomato Cage Christmas Tree

$15

A tomato cage Christmas tree is a great way to DIY a small holiday decoration from your home. Simply head to your local garden center (or backyard shed) and pick up a regular wire tomato cage. Wrap evergreen garland around it and add lights and ornaments to transform it into a Christmas tree. This fun decoration can be used indoors as in place of a traditional Christmas tree; or place it outdoors in your

tomato cage christmas tree

Begin by flipping the tomato cage over and use yarn to tie the top of the wires together so that the tomato cage takes on a cone shape.

Take one of the garlands and secure it to the base of the tomato cage with wire or yarn.

tomato cage christmas tree

Start wrapping it around and up the cage. Pushing it down as you go so there are no huge gaps and the tree looks lush and full.

When you get to the end of the garland tie it to the nearest metal wire and continue on with the next garland using the same method and work your way to the top

tomato cage christmas tree

At the top of the garland secure the free end with more yarn.

tomato cage christmas tree

Decorate with lights, ornaments and a tree topper.

Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Lori Johnson

For our trailer house, this would be the perfect size tree to fit. It can be saved for the next year (s) too. It won't dry out, need watering or drop needles all over the place. Looks a lot prettier than our homemade Charlie Brown tree I make every year. Where do you get that base for it? Are they found at Home Improvement places, or furniture stores? A person could make a base out of a slice of a tree log. varnished. How much more natural would that be? I want to make one of these. I love it!

• Lori Johnson

You know of those cardboard cases that Ramen noodles come in at the grocery store? I save them to use as storage, or organizing things around the place, but I just thought of the idea of using one, or more of them to make a base for this tree. Cheap. Reusable and recyclable. Wrap a towel, sheet, blanket, wrapping paper, anything you want, around the base of the tree. Use imagination. I keep getting ideas from things I see on here and what I have at home.

• Bunny

I've only seen long long pcs. of garland but in your picture you can see lots of short disconnected ends sticking out from the tree...to make it look more realistic. Did you have to cut a lot of the garland into smaller pcs. to get that effect?

• Manya Ameri

I wonder if it could be made for outdoors, like in FL & CA? A natural looking Christmas tree with pine cones, sticks, lights, etc could be quite pretty.

• Nola Dieringer

I did try this and it turned out perfect. It is easy, fun and what’s even better it only takes a few minutes to take it down.

• Jeff Lane

I like to wrap red and silver garland on mine in place of the green ,I had been doing this for about 7 years