Asked on Dec 18, 2018

How do I create more storage in a small bedroom?

Nancy TurnerJessica VanderVeenBlaire Simpson Oslander
+2

I have a small bedroom that my husband and I have to share with my to children, need a lot of storage

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Debi, the key to working with small spaces it to look up. Floor to ceiling book shelves or even just a shelf running around the entire "top" of the room can really help for long term storage.

• Judy

Under the bed storage, vacuum sealing bags compress items but are heavy.

Use the walls for shelving if possible.

Bins dividing like items can help organize your space.

If you have a closet, organize it so there are shelves or bins on the bottom for shoes, if two poles can be placed so you have double the hanging space it would help.

• Blaire Simpson Oslander

You can buy legs to elevate your bed and put stuff under it in boxes. Label each one to help you find what you need, or use different patterned ones. IKEA has some nice ones. Make sure your bed is high enough for the boxes, made that mistake once!

• Jessica VanderVeen

Apple crate on the wall, open shelf above the door, see if you can store extra linens and towels in a bedroom closet or hall closet instead of in the bathroom

• Nancy Turner

You can get lifts to put under your bed so that you can put under bed boxes down there. You would be surprised how much you can store under the bed if you elevate it enough. I have the taller ones that bed bath and beyond sells and I have two stacked on top of each other. You can also use the vacuum storage bags for out of season clothes and store them under the bed. Add more shelves in your closet, as high as you can, you may need a ladder, but the things you don't use often will store up there nicely. Use two rods in the closet to hold more hanging clothes. Chest of drawers may work nicely since they are narrower than a dresser, but taller.