Jody Harris
Jody Harris
  • Tutorial Team
  • Shelton, WA

From Crutches to a Shelf!

$15

I saw on Pinterest how you can take old wooden crutches and make them into shelves that can either sit on the floor or be attached to the wall so I thought I’d give it a try.

from crutches to a shelf or even a christmas tree

Here are 3 that were picked up at a 2nd hand store! Notice two have a straight piece in the middle and one doesn’t. In the end it doesn’t matter how they look, both work.

A chain was attached on one side of each crutch at a length that looked appropriate. This was attached at one of the already predrilled holes. The chain helps to keep the entire piece from expanding too far and falling flat. It makes quick set up too!

After painting and distressing the crutches, I forgot to take a pix sorry, the bottom of the crutch now becomes the top. To attach them together a hinge is added to keep them together.

Regarding the paint, you could do whatever fit your decor. It could even stay as is or be stained. It’s really up to you!

The shelves are 3” wide to fit within the opening. The length of the boards depend on what you want and the space you would be placing it. The bottom shelf is laid on the “former top” where you rested your arm and the middle shelf is where you would rest your hand. The top shelf will need to have a small dowel attached on both crutches to lay the board across.

Here is a close up of the bottom portion. I’m not sure why the middle board is sitting up but just imagine it laying down. Some ideas for using this shelf could be to hold craft supplies, shot glasses, collections of all kinds, shot glasses etc.

• Dakota

How clever! Love the clean lines.

Just have to ask....what is "H 4" on the plaque?

• Ellen

Are the shelves fastened to the crutches in any way? If not, I can see having to carefully balance any items on them and then hoping no one leans on a shelf which would then flip up like a seesaw.

• Mickie

I also wondered that as I could see my cat laying on a shelf with my husband's "CAT" and him getting off and tossing "her" over inflated backside off!!😁 I can dream, yes? Lol! ( you can tell she and I do not always get along lol)

• Jamie

When I saw this I thought oh my goodness my oldest daughter and her family need this. They are always getting hurt and are always ending up with crutches. What a great idea it just might help remind them to be more cautious so that they don't end up needing another pair of crutches. While also being a cute accent as well as a family representation of themselves!!!

• Liam O'boyle

I would have offered them to the local hospital if you’re one is open

• Pappyand Nanny Wilson
      30 minutes ago

Im sure that the local hospital gets all the adaptive equipment they need, including crutches by over charging your insurances and stocking up . This was just a simple craft idea, that was practical ,give her a break and thank her for sharing . Have a blessed day