Rae Busch
Rae Busch
  • Garden City, MN

Kitchen Cosmetic Update on the Cheap!

We had ugly, chipped, stained, dark cabinets (and paneling!) in our ranch house. Paint works great to update! You can see the blue we used on the paneling. We chose soft white for the cabinets.
kitchen cosmetic update on the cheap, countertops, diy, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting
The first pic is of the doors, laid out and ready for painting.
This is what I called "The Black Hole." Home to the vintage yellow stepstool.
This is halfway through painting the base cabinets. (I forgot to take an overall "Before" pic, my bad!
Here's the black hole, bases painted, with the dark drawers in place so you can see the difference!
Bases painted, two coats so far on the doors. The backsplash is still just painted drywall. We're gonna make a change to that, too!
Hubby cut beautiful birch plywood for a backsplash, and framed the outlet covers. We stained and poly'ed that.
Here's what the backsplash and cabinets look like, all finished! The little green paint sample to the left of the cabinets indicates a future project - wall painting.
And here's what it looks like now. I used the same hardware - it just needed cleaning up. I have also since painted the window frame above the sink to match the cabinets.
After the walls are painted, making a hanging fixture out of colanders is next on my agenda!