Gladys King
Gladys King
  • Green Bay, WI

An Early July Backyard Shade Garden Walk in Green Bay, WI

At last! Time to enjoy the fruits of our labor. It was a tough winter and spring here in NE Wisconsin but we made it through. Our plants are thriving in the cooler temperatures and plentiful rain showers. The gardens you see are 20 years in the making and are ever growing and changing...........UPDATE......Now, May 1, 2016 ........we are patiently waiting for spring to come (we are well below normal) . . .the plants are just beginning to show. The hostas are just nubs and the gardens are looking pretty barren!
an early july backyard shade garden walk in green bay wi, gardening, landscape, outdoor living
An overview of our back "hollow"
The southern edge of the pond and beyond
Down the garden entry path
Entrance to the lower gardens
The center area of hollow with bridge and swing
Looking back up the entry path
One garden with gazebo and log water feature
The entry path to the back beds
A view from the bridge looking over one bed
One section of the back gardens
Continuing the garden walk
Looking back over the gardens
At the far end of the garden path
From the far side looking back
Our hidden courtyard viewed from our deck

• Gerry

Beautiful garden. What do you do to keep the deer from eating all your hostas? The only place I can have any hostas is right next to the house and the deer have been known to trim them up from time to time.

• Gladys King

We have the back yard enclosed with a mesh reinforced with wire that is 7 ft tall. It keeps the browsing deer out. In fall, mating time it is occasionally breached. The front yard is protected with liquid fence which I apply heavily in the spring. It helps but both methods aren't perfect. We have a herd of about 25 in the area and we live right in town. The city does nothing to help us out and the herd is getting larger each year. 17 years ago there were no deer. They moved in where the grazing was easy and from the few that moved in....with no natural prediators , well, you know the story!

• EL Hoard

This is beautiful, but looks like a whole lot of upkeep, especially in the fall when the leaves start falling

• Dot D Collett

When is your favorite time to work in the garden? Cool spring for the last winter cleanup, and to check for tree seedlings and maybe seeds. Mow paths in the summer if the grass is the taller variety or plant the short shade tolerant. In fall rake / mow leaves from the paths and those spots where there's more than needed for mulch. Plant exciting new plants when you find them! That's it, much more fun than trying to garden in a prairie where the buffalo roamed and plants adapted to survive 100,000 tromping grazers.

• EL Hoard

Thanks Dot. We live in West TN. And have lots of 100 ft trees that drop a LOT of leaves. Have a very difficult time trying to remove them from our Azaleas and other bushes.

• Gladys King

The pictures were from 2014. Now in 2015.......our favorite time to work in the yard is normally spring. Unfortunately this spring hasn't been a good one...too cold and little is growing. I guess we are paying for our late fall where we worked out until after Christmas. We really got cleaned up then and even mulched!

• EL Hoard

Well it's lovely Gladys. I used to travel to Greenbay and it's beautiful up there. If you want some great BBQ ribs, go to Capones in Depeer. May have that name misspelled.

• 512181

Super pretty. And…how do you keep the deer out? I see many plants in the garden that they would love to devour!

• Jennie Lee

I've read that deer have poor vision for detail. If you string fishing line about deer-chest-high, they can't see it, and when they come up against an invisible resisting touch, they get scared and leave! These folks have the best setup I've ever seen to try that idea! They have so many trees, it would be simple to tie virtually invisible monofilament from tree to tree, around their property, where no one commonly walks through. It would be very cheap, too!

• Bonnie rubin franzen

I live in S/E Wisconsin, have SO much shade and have a difficult time finding a lot of Hostas in various colors and size. Do you buy your plants at a nursery? Or, do you order them from a catalog of some kind? My yard is small unlike yours so it should be easier to do shade gardens, but it's not.

• Dee

@Bonnie rubin franzen I love hostas, too and have a shade garden for them. I get a lot of my hostas (and other shade plants) from HostasDirect.com. The variety is amazing, and they are the BEST source for hosta info. They list info on literally thousands. Hostas come in sizes from mini to giant, so they fit in any yard or container.

• Andrea

how do you keep the slugs from eating your hosta plants?

• Fran

What are the red spike plants among the hostas ?

• Beth

My whole property up in the mountains is shady. Do you by chance have a list of the lovely plants you've grown. I have only had success with ferns and Hostas.

• Veronica Davenport

What gardening zone are you? I have had some success with using perennials as annuals in my coastal zone 5.

• Gladys King

We are zone 5 here in NE Wisconsin. However, just after they changed us to this, from 4, we had the coldest winter in over 125 years so frankly, I don't buy much zone 5..... Too risky !

• Denise

how do you keep deer from eating your hostas

• Gladys King

We have a neighborhood herd of about 16 deer. Our back has a deer fence that does keep the browsing deer out. We use great amounts of Liquid Fence in our front gardens to discourage them. Rabbits!! That is a different story....we have them and they help themselves to just about anything they want. They have too many places to hide from us and the food is too good in the gardens so they are not even tempted by the goodies in the live trap. It is a never ending battle!

• Gail Doepker

We use Deer Out in Oshkosh, WI with good success. It is only orderable online. Nothing bothers our plants!

• Barbara

Very beautiful and so peaceful. We have no where near the amount of land in our over sized backyard, but I'd love to do something along the same lines, especially the pond, gorgeous!Due to very tall trees, mostly ornamental but one orange tree and one avocado, we have a very shady back yard. The Hostas should do well, but what other varieties did you use? I prefer perennials to annuals but am open to anything this lovely.

• Anne Sackman

What kind of plants can you plant under pine trees that will grow in Washington state eastside of the mountains.

• Gladys King

Sorry......I know little about your area.......here in Wisconsin, zone 5, hostas, and ferns as well as some astilbe do well under pines, provided that they are trimmed up and the soil is hummus rich below them. It is important not to let these plants dry out. Here in Wisconsin, we are either very wet or very dry so we have to keep on our toes.

• Stacy Jones Prest

I'm in SE Washington and we grow hostas in our shady areas. There are pine trees nearby and they seem to do okay.

• Joan

I would love to have a list of the plants you used. Beautiful!!!

• Joy1500587

What is the plant by pond with large flat leaves looks about 2 ft tall with maybe red stems and a redspot on leaf center?

• Gladys King

Astilbiloids tabularis. . . Picture below in spring.....several days ago.